Forums Latest Members
  1. river rat Nov 23, 2019

Well I know Naval navigation watches are not every bodies cup of tea. My first big ticket naval navigation time piece was a Hamilton model 22 this one below. Also in the photo a Hamilton naval comparing watch.
    [​IMG]
    Then the big Brother the Hamilton Model 21
    [​IMG]
    Only one missing was the Hamilton Model 22 deck watch / pocket watch version same movement as the model 22 in gimble box above. Well I just bought this one off Ebay from the same seller I got the big brother model 21
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I got a complete set the Two versions of the model 22 and the big brother the model 21 and the comparing watch. One collector of these told me in WW2 they had 2-6 chronometers on ships less on smaller ships more on larger ships one on the bridge and the rest in different locations of the ship to protect them if the bridge gets a direct hit and it destroys the chronometer they have another to take it's place they were that important for navigation. Took me a long time to complete this set. Prices have come down a lot on these model 22. And most ebay sellers are not paying attention one seller had a none running one with only the inner box no outer box and wanted a 100 bucks less than this running one with both boxes I just bought. Parts can be had but the guy who bought all the Hamilton chronometer parts quit and sold his parts to some one else so mite be difficult to get and repair nothing but a parts watch crazy. For this kind of money it better be running or halve the price of one in working condition. Today a good time to ad a model 22 prices have been 700- 900 about a 500 drop in prices from years ago and a cool thing from history these helped the US Navy win in WW2 if you could not navigate just think if the battle group could not find midway they mite of not been waiting for the Japanese for the surprise attack and WW2 mite of ended different.

RI Omega Fan, Oku, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  2. Canuck Nov 23, 2019

Hamilton chronometer parts. Larry Crutsinger has sold his Hamilton parts? He bought the military parts from the estate of Dr. Ravel, decades ago. I hadn’t heard he had re-sold his parts.

https://www.hamiltonparts.com/

3. river rat Nov 23, 2019

Paul Krichten took over the parts business it's in the link you posted. On my gimbled box model 22 had to get a part from Larry Crutsinger years ago when I had it service the watchmaker needed a part for were you press that button to pull the crown up to set the time and he did not know were to get it so I got it for him.

4. Canuck Nov 23, 2019

I checked that link, and indeed, Larry has sold the Hamilton parts.

[email protected]

To those of us who own these machines and work on them, this is indeed good to know!

5. river rat Nov 23, 2019

6. river rat Dec 2, 2019

Well received it today goes good with all the other Hamilton's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's in great shape from 1942. Just think it could of been on a PT boat or a submarine in WW2. Kind of cool.

Vitezi, mswilks, Canuck and 2 others like this.