Forums Latest Members

Incoming: Girard-Perregaux Chronometer

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 17, 2015

No squirrels this time. Instead, it is a platypus that has bitten hard:

[​IMG]

Because this one has come all the way from the land of Oz. First the seller's pictures:

[​IMG]

Movement is the high-beat (36K beats/hour) GP cal. 42.1:

[​IMG]

Has a soft iron inner cover and a unique inner case construction:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of odd things about the case, first, it has double lug holes. Like this other example on the web.

[​IMG]

If anyone can explain the purpose of these double holes, I'd like to understand the function.

Did a little homework tonight. It is amazing what you can do with Q-tips, Polywatch, a blue Blitz cloth and an old T-shirt. Put it a nice Keleran calfskin band, and here is the result:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, while the crown is original, it's lost the plating. If anyone else has a similar watch and can tell me the dimensions of the crown, I'd be greatly appreciative. I've seen one that I think is correct, but not sure if it will fit the Ref. 9086-GA case. None of the regular web-based parts suppliers have any vintage GP information.

The watch seems to be running very well and will go in the service line, but there are several ahead of it.

Thanks for your indulgence!
    gatorcpa

Hijak, ELV web, SeanO and 1 other person like this.
  2. CdnWatchDoc Aug 17, 2015

Very nice transformation there Gator...I especially like the case.
    The double lug holes may be related to a choice of straps; I have a TWCO Sea Rescue Diver and it too has 2 lug holes. The outer one is for the steel bracelet with end pieces, and the inner one for the close fitting rubber strap. I unfortunately don't have a dedicated picture of the lugs...

[​IMG]
    Bracelet with end pieces in the outer holes

[​IMG]
    Rubber strap connecting through the holes closest to the case

gatorcpa likes this.