Incoming: Ed White 105.003-65 - My first time bidding (and winning) an auction!

Dibs 😗

Shoot! I was too smitten to think about dibs.

Missed out twice!

IMO GOOD is the right place to be for most people who like to wear their watches without worrying. Frankly, of the dozens of watches in my collection, few would be considered VG by @Spacefruit's standards, and I'm always a bit nervous to wear them. I probably have only a handful of watches he would consider EXCELLENT, and most people would call them NOS. I just enjoy looking at them, no wearing.

All that matters is that you like it! Good, no-good, very good, who really cares, as long as you’re happy with it.

Wear it in good health, it’s a nice watch.

Yes precisely. Those sentiments perfectly capture what enjoying the hobby and not treating it as hoarding exercise is all about. I like to wear mine on rotation and those with pre-existing nicks and cuts makes the decision all the more easier.

I'm often underwhelmed with these types of threads that start off with "I just bought this watch, what do you think?" So I wasn't prepared for your watch. Scrolling down the page to where the pictures popped up, I just said "Deeee-aaammmmm! Nice watch!"

That dial is beautiful. The lume is normally all over the place on these. Omega seemed to have used kindergarteners to apply the lume when they were made. Yours looks great. It's surprising to see the uv test as the hands are so nice they do look replaced but they passed the UV test. That looks amazing on your wrist, which is where it should be.

No worries about the case polish. So few cases haven't been polished. It's really a choice between an old polish or a recent polish. You have a nice even surface now to add your own nicks and wear. Let the next guy in 50 years worry about whether it was polished.

Only bad thing is I should have been bidding on that. 😁

Haha. Thanks. Yes, I was rather surprised by the UV test. It's a very good dial and in the end, that's what matters the most. The case isn't too bad either. In fact, I think it's what I would consider "age-appropriate" for daily wear.

Congrats! I saw this listing right after it ended and thought the price was pretty good. "What am I missing?" Happy to see it here and that it seems to have been a good purchase. That dial is wonderful.

That is an amazing watch!! Congrats. That dial.. wow

Amazing acquisition. I saw this listing on loupethis, and have to say that it is quite a nice price, even with buyer's premium taken in. Congratulations.

Dibs 😗

Shoot! I was too smitten to think about dibs.

Missed out twice!

Thank you all.

The next question for me to consider is whether to do a full service or not. It seems to be ticking along just fine. I think the winding is a bit more stiff than what I'm used to on most vintage pieces I own and I've not yet tried to measure the gain/loss in time but everything else seems fine. I'm in the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" camp when it comes to watch servicing. Having said that, I thought I might opt for an ultrasonic cleaning of the case/bezel (not movement) so that hopefully the pushers are cleaner (I'm not as distracted by their condition as I thought I would be when I first saw the images, they are barely noticeable when wearing). My other concern with servicing is whether, if the pushers need replacement, the service pushers would be the right dimension or would the modern ones change the "look", which I would like to preserve as much as possible.

If it keeps good time, I would hold off on a service.
Could take it to a good independent, get their opinion on the pushers and if replacements would look out of place or not.

If you are going to wear it, service it. It's the only sensible option.

it is magnificent. I congratulate you and I hope you will be happy together

Great example and enjoyed reading the story of your journey. I’d certainly have it serviced and the enjoy!!

Thank you. Looks like servicing it is the logical choice and the best way forward. I'll ask the 2 vintage watch places found here locally and update soon, along with the EoA saga (always fun!).

I am almost tempted to send it to Omega and see what they say (I know, I know - don't is the common advice/wisdom when it comes to vintage), but I had absolutely stellar results with the 75+ year old 2505 that I sent which was returned back with a 2-year warranty from Bienne unmolested (literally, nothing was touched and every word of my strict prescriptive instruction was followed) in any way except for the movement being serviced. That baby winds like a cat when wound.

It’s a nice watch. Don’t take some risks. Service it. Really 😀

Thanks for sharing the story and congrats! The dial just blows me away.

Quick update.

I had applied for the Omega EoA after I won the auction and before I received the watch Omega just sent the extract today.

To say that I am ecstatic and...well..."over the moon" would be understating it.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 11.27.23 PM.png

Very nice Ed. Your serial is less than 13,000, and fewer than 5 months’ production, away from mine. One of the closest I’ve come across!

Wear it & enjoy!

Congrats! I saw this auction when it was still live, but considering how nice it is, thought it's just going to end up in some ridiculously high results. Surprised when the result was very decent. I'd say it's in perfect condition to wear daily without being a safe queen. Lovely piece!

tks for sharing OP and great story on your journey. The hands lume UV check pass. excellent. Again, this shows that lume degradation can vary to a large extent betw hands and dial!

Very nice Ed. Your serial is less than 13,000, and fewer than 5 months’ production, away from mine. One of the closest I’ve come across!

Wear it & enjoy!

Mine is closer to yours, in date at least. Here is the extract for my NAAFI sold Ed White built April '66 so only a couple of months before yours. Note the big jump in serials between the 2 watches, there are no 23m serial Speedies at all AFAIK.

IMG_E0132.JPG
Edited:

Mine is closer to yours, in date at least. Here is the extract for my NAAFI sold Ed White built April '66 so only a couple of months before yours. Note the big jump in serials between the 2 watches, there are no 23m serial Speedies at all AFAIK.

IMG_E0132.JPG

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

IMG_E0132.JPG
Mine's pretty close:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4905.jpg