In your opinion... is "restored" the same as "refinished"?

I tend to avoid whenever I see any of those terms... although I feel I may have missed out on some good deals... :(

Post pics - not only links...

DIAL
: Stunning, beautifully restored black honeycomb dial

The answer is YES
s-l1600 - 2024-06-26T202256.990.jpg

Like 2
Post pics - not only links...

DIAL
: Stunning, beautifully restored black honeycomb dial

The answer is YES
s-l1600 - 2024-06-26T202256.990.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic! First time I ever used the "link" feature, wasnt sure if the pic would automatically come up.

Like 1
If you can see past the mismatched hands, forgive the overpolished case, ignore the quad-colored movement parts- the dial isn’t badly repainted. But it’s already exceeded sane money for what is essentially an overpolished frankenwatch.

Like 6
Heed the siren's song from those rocky shores.......unless you like it, then just buy it.

Seller should have also tracked down the proper hands.....quite the eyesore if you know an original.

Like 3
Heed the siren's song from those rocky shores.......unless you like it, then just buy it.

Seller should have also tracked down the proper hands.....quite the eyesore if you know an original.

Hahaha totally "Siren's song" lol. I swear I seem to forget whutever I've learned about vintage watches whenever I see a reference that I've been looking for or it's shiny ::facepalm1:: lol.

Like 1
It will have 60% less value the second it is paid for and the buyer will be hoping to find a low-information newbie when trying to sell.

Like 2
If you can see past the mismatched hands, forgive the overpolished case, ignore the quad-colored movement parts- the dial isn’t badly repainted. But it’s already exceeded sane money for what is essentially an overpolished frankenwatch.
This is a typical suckers watch

Like 1
This is a typical suckers watch
Apparently a large number of people find it attractive enough to pay real money for- and the seller isn’t being deceptive.

Most people who are bidding on something like this want a “pretty” vintage watch- they really don’t care about if it’s “right” or not. I think we lose sight of the fact that the people here are discriminating collectors who value originality and authenticity. Preservation over “restoration” 100% of the time and if work is to be done, it’s to correct damage like laser welding case work, ruluming damaged lume to save an original dial or full movement overhaul. But I’m willing to bet people like us make up about 5% of the watch buying populous.
Most people like them shiny!

Like 5
And I think that's fine. If the only watches in the market were those approved by collectors, this would be a really boring hobby :D

My only real issue (aside from the price) with that watch is the hands. The refinish is not bad, and someone who likes shiny cool things can get a functional watch that they can wear. Better that than it rotting in the trash or a box in a drawer.

What attracts me more to watches is the way they work, and how a complex machine can be reduced to that size with micromechanics. So seeing any vintage piece working is a joy to me, even if it's not 100% original. But I think that's the cool thing of the current market, there's something for everyone.

Like 1
And I think that's fine. If the only watches in the market were those approved by collectors, this would be a really boring hobby :D

My only real issue (aside from the price) with that watch is the hands. The refinish is not bad, and someone who likes shiny cool things can get a functional watch that they can wear. Better that than it rotting in the trash or a box in a drawer.

What attracts me more to watches is the way they work, and how a complex machine can be reduced to that size with micromechanics. So seeing any vintage piece working is a joy to me, even if it's not 100% original. But I think that's the cool thing of the current market, there's something for everyone.
If you want cool mechanics in micro- you should start collecting ladies watches. The lady omegas are miniaturized versions of the full size and insane how small those parts are. A friend of mine who has worked on a few of my wife’s omega cocktail watches calls them “tiny terrorists”

Like 2
How about this one? Just made me laugh out loud.
1000012783.jpg

Like 3
If you want cool mechanics in micro- you should start collecting ladies watches. The lady omegas are miniaturized versions of the full size and insane how small those parts are. A friend of mine who has worked on a few of my wife’s omega cocktail watches calls them “tiny terrorists”

Yeah, I recently got a 566.008 with a 681 movement, and it's crazy how small it is. It really is fascinating. Or at least it is to see them. I bet working on them is a nightmare. At some point I'll disassemble that one to clean it and check all the inner workings, but I've been procrastinating.

Like 1
Yes …. with this caveat : if restoration was done by Patek, JLC, VC, Longines etc. from original tooling, that is a slightly more nuanced conversation.

Like 3