Forums Latest Members

In Reality, Are 18k White Gold Omega Watches In Demand?

1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Members

After reading this article, courtesy of one of our respectable members, I tend to disbelieve that white gold Omega watches are sought-after by Omega enthusiasts and collectors.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/10/10/the-wall-street-journal-looks-behind-the-curtain-at-antiquorum/

Currently on eBay there are three white gold Omega watches and, though not as vintage as those lately auctioned by Christie's but still they are uncommon relative to the yellow or pink gold ones, yet there seems to be no interest in any one of them.

Here they are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...184452114?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a7bc29212Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-18K-W...694039158?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item564f162676Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-RARE-...684462133?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item564e840435Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The three above watches are yawning, waiting for suitors.

Probably it is just hot air but in reality, the demand for 18k white gold Omega is far below that of the pink gold ones except, when they are being auctioned by the big auction-houses like Christie's, Sotheby's and Antiquorum.

(Respectable Mod: Kindly delete duplicated images and and possibly add an image of the watch in the third link. Thank-you.)

Thank-you.

aaa.JPG
    bbb.JPG
    Seamonster'sWGConnie.jpg

2. pknopp Nov 21, 2012

I can't really comment on the collectors market but I prefer white gold. I'm not in the market for a 10k watch though.

Taking value out of the equation I prefer silver over gold.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 21, 2012

White gold is not for me. If I need a watch in that color, I buy a SS watch.

4. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2012

I believe they are in demand, just not at those prices in this economy. The people with the spare cash to buy now are trying to steal watches at bargain basement prices, hoping that the sellers are only unloading them because they need the money. After all, it is a luxury item and not a necessity.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Yes, WG commands a premium. The more desirable the watch is to begin with the higher the premium and none of the watches you pictured are particularly desirable.

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 21, 2012

How many WG do you have in your collection, Mike ?

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

That would be telling wouldn't it...
    Let's just say it's not zero...

8. skooternb Nov 21, 2012

For these types of pieces I see collectors going for either the much more rarer platinum examples or the much cheaper steel. Nevertheless, there is still a contingent for white gold, as a premium over yellow gold, but below pink in the current market. Additionally, whenever you see a watch on an integral/non-detachable bracelet it won't bring as much because the wearer is limited.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 21, 2012

Here's my take:

First watch is a nice example with over 20 bidders already, with just less than a day to go. I expect the price to rise substantially on this watch before the whistle blows. Although, shouldn't the dial be solid gold on this one?

Second watch has integrated bracelet (possibly a custom-made one). Some collectors don't like secondary printing on the dial, unless it's a Rolex and the name on the dial is Tiffany & Co.

Third watch - Maybe a WG case, but I'm not sure about the match of the dial to the case ref. 168.004. Dial looks like it is either a service replacement or from a later version. And at $10K? :eek:

Yes, white gold versions are very nice and generally sell for premiums, but I'm not sure we are seeing the "best of the breed" here.
    gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2012

The least Respectable Mod got it. :thumbsup::p

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

Surely, he will work his way up to become The Most Respectable Mod. Least or most, I still appreciate for the kind assistance.

Thank-you.

12. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member pknopp

I do not think, any of the three watches will hit the 5k mark. I may be wrong, though.

Thank-you.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member hoipolloi alias 'Mr Long Seconds-Hand'

I agree, there is no difference between one in stainless-steel and another in white gold or even platinum. It is not easy to tell them apart, from a distance. The only difference is the weight of the watch and the weight of the price.

For daily use, like you I go for the stainless-steel watch.

Thank-you.

14. Wetworks Nov 21, 2012

I'll add in that they are not particularly sought after as one is a Meister dial and the other two are 561 movements, not 565s.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

The best of the breeds will go to Christie's, so as to get a premium.

Some of the sellers of white gold watches have wishful thinking and hopefully, their expectation is realized. It will not be easy though, since the festive season is just next door. Most of the people have no extra funds to throw around.

Thank-you.

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Nov 21, 2012

Dear respectable seamonster,

Interesting enough, if it is a two tone white gold, it is easy enough to recognize. The white gold part is shinier than the SS part.

17. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member skootemb

I would rather wear a pink gold one against another in white gold.

Thank-you.

18. pknopp Nov 21, 2012

Just noting that they are asking $9,995 for the last one.

19. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 21, 2012

Respectable Member pknopp

Day-dreaming is a pastime, too. Let us hope, it does not turn into a night-mare and his dream will come true.

Thank-you.

20. pknopp Nov 21, 2012

Never hurts to ask. :D