Forums Latest Members
  1. trey03 Mar 5, 2017

Well, I picked this one up relatively inexpensively. I have been looking for a solid gold chrono for a few months. I must admit I didn't do my research before I purchased it.

Any thoughts?

zenith 2_edited.jpg zenith_edited.jpg

watchthirst, Andsan, ELV web and 2 others like this.
  2. MaiLollo Mar 5, 2017

"Inexpensively" is relative: personally I think it really is attractive and with a very nice patina. Congrats!

3. Hijak Mar 5, 2017

It looks like you may have lucked out and depending on what you paid, gotten a good deal.

Have a similar model myself, one of my faviorite watches...
    image.jpeg

watchthirst and AveConscientia like this.
  4. trey03 Mar 5, 2017

You're right... Inexpensive is relative.

I grabbed this for a little over $1k. Seemed like a good deal for a solid gold case.

Trey

5. Hijak Mar 5, 2017

Believe it or not the steel one come up less and can run as much if not more than the gold. Mine is 18K gold and I'd pay more than I did for a steel one. You did very well, that's a very good deal!:thumbsup: Good for you.:cool:

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2017

Could have done a lot worse shooting from the hip - original dial, case in decent shape. I'm not sure the hour, minute and second hands are original, but overall, not bad for the price.

7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 5, 2017

@Hijak, lovely watch. What's the reason/purpose for the 3 long lines on the subdial at the 3 position?

8. gwzymytk Mar 5, 2017

kkt, Hijak, LouS and 1 other person like this.
  9. trey03 Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for the all the replies. I wasn't sure about the hands either. Any ideas how I can assess if they are original?

What would an average value you be for these watches?

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2017

With the proper bits and in good shape, I would say about $1800-2200. I may be mistaken, as I am frequently left in the dust by spiraling prices lately, but gold-cased watches are not usually as prone to price leaps as the steel ones.

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 5, 2017

Agree with this but I would come down a little more firmly on the hour, minute, and chrono sweep second hands not being original to the watch. Still a nice piece at that price.

12. trey03 Mar 5, 2017

What do the proper hands look like?

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2017

kkt, seedo, Andsan and 4 others like this.
  14. seedo Mar 6, 2017

Your Hands, Chrono hands and Sub dial hands is not original. Lous has showed u the fine example of the original.
    Think u can try sourcing our for the hands. Think the Hands on your watch belongs to a Cal 156D. Nice watch for that price tho.

Edited Mar 6, 2017
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 6, 2017

BUT .... Hands match the indices...What is the reference here?

16. wristpirate Mar 6, 2017

Incorrect hour, minute, seconds hands. Hard to be sure but think the sub dial hands could be correct. Suspect they are blued steel, perhaps further photos can clarify. Can't go wrong at the price you've paid, decent purchase

17. seedo Mar 7, 2017

I might be wrong i might be right. It should be blue steel but the angle of light might affect the colors as well.

The Dial aged nicely hope he can replace those hands when he can. Its a really nice watch to own.
    If he need parts i think i know where he can get them. I personally have this watch as well.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 7, 2017

There was a link between UG and Zenith on watches like this was there not? Hands and chrono look UG ish. I'm also interested in the fact that patina on indices matches the hands. Of course this just might mean that the watch was put together like this long ago. Do agree that the examples provided look more balanced.

19. trey03 Mar 7, 2017

@seedo, let me know if you have a source for the correct hands. I would be very interested in getting this put back correctly.

@Larry, I am also very curious about the fact the patina matches on the indices and the hands. Like I was said originally I was definitely shooting from the hip on this one. However the fact that the patina all matches I was hopeful things were correct.

What is the name of this model? The movement is a 146D but I believe that movement was in a few different watches.

Trey

20. seedo Mar 7, 2017

Hi Trey,

U can try contacting Dario @ https://www.facebook.com/dariogiorgianniricambi/ He should have the hands.

i don't think there isn't any model for these watches during that time. There is various dial and size for the same movement. I think your model should be made in the 1960s but there should be a serial number on the case back if u really want to be sure.