Forums Latest Members
  1. Börn Dec 9, 2019

There are many “for sale” postings on OF indicating that the vintage piece has no service record and that service is recommended.

My question is if the piece is from the 50’s, 60’s, or 70’s, and it is running like a champ, should the buyer entertain the idea of servicing or just let it go?

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

Thank you.

2. MRC Dec 9, 2019

I have discussed this with the watchmaker I use most frequently and the arrangement we follow now for a watch new to me is that if the power reserve is pretty much to spec and the timekeeping is within 20 seconds a day then I wear it, checking both criteria regularly and watching for changes. Anything with obvious problems is sent off right away. His queue is about 3 months long even for a regular customer but it might get looked at slightly faster if it is taking space in his safe ;)

Etp095, vinylcall, wsfarrell and 3 others like this.
  3. jeppehh Dec 9, 2019

kkt and DaveK like this.
  4. jaspers Dec 9, 2019

Well, in my experience it's a matter of calculating hidden costs. When I consider purchasing a vintage watch, I make list of costs driving up the 'gross' price into a 'net' price: auction fees, import taxes, shipping fees, and servicing of the watch. When the listing does not include a receipt of a full service from a reputable watchmaker of <3 years old, I add the service costs to my hidden costs list. When, adding it all up, it's still a good deal, I pull the trigger. When the watch arrives, it goes to my watchmaker straight away.

So in my view a watch without a service history is not something to pass on categorically—it's just one extra expense to factor in.

DaveK likes this.
  5. agee Dec 9, 2019

My watch man agrees with the above

6. MRC Dec 9, 2019

Even the bit about the safe?

7. Börn Dec 9, 2019

Calculating the service fee into the purchase price is a good idea.

Would it also be appropriate that the timepiece asking price is a bit more if there was a recent service?

Edited Dec 9, 2019
    kkt likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 9, 2019

Virtually every watch I have purchased went straight to my watchmaker. Only exceptions were when I was sure it had been serviced prior to shipment. When I have not done this, it was only a matter of time before service was needed. The best pack job cannot solve the vibration problem. Always plan on a service.

9. MRC Dec 9, 2019

Not just good -- it is essential! If the watch turns out good when you receive it then the service cost you put aside simply stays in the "future watch costs" fund.

sudan.jpg

Larry S likes this.
  10. 405 Dec 9, 2019

I always plan on a service. I have bought watches that were recently "serviced", but they are not up to my standard.

11. Shabbaz Dec 9, 2019

I'm afraid timekeeping or powerreserve does'nt say the condition of the movement is good. Keep this in mind

Edward53 likes this.
  12. jaspers Dec 9, 2019

Yes, but only when done (1) recently, (2) by a reputable watchmaker and (3) all this can be proven by a receipt.

Larry S and Edward53 like this.
  13. Dgercp Dec 9, 2019

It is curious to me that so many watches are sold with no service history known. Then once an "event" occurs, (i.e. a sale), it all of a sudden becomes an imperative to get the watch serviced.

14. Dan S Dec 9, 2019

jaspers, DaveK and Shabbaz like this.
  15. Canuck Dec 9, 2019

Then there is the “the watch has just been serviced” type of seller. Time and again I have encountered this type of person, and examining the watch with a critical eye tells you the watch is in terrible condition! Whether the watch is “unknown”, or “recently serviced”, it is a good idea to have it checked. I service everything I acquire, unless it is going into my stash as “parts only”.

I have one on my bench right now, that the owner recently acquired. It is an 1883, 18-size Waltham. He took it to a jewellery store for service, but it didn’t work when he got it back. He asked around for suggestions for someone to trust, and my name came up. I am almost done tussling with it, but I have to say that I found absolutely no evidence that the watch received any repair, at all! I spent about an hour removing GLUE that was holding the bezel and crystal on. If the one who ”serviced” it had a modicum of honour about him, he’d have turned it down.

Etp095, Dan S and DaveK like this.
  16. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 9, 2019

Could be a flip, or a watch that’s just not getting any wrist time, so a service wasn’t needed. I buy watches as gifts or to wear, so I always get them serviced - except for a lot of pocket watches that I got at auction. I haven’t decided which I want to wear yet. They all work and have all their parts, so they don’t need a service right now. Well, I do need a new second hand for my Hamilton sidewinder, so I’ll get that part soon, but not a service.

17. kkt Dec 9, 2019

When it's been 5 years or so after a watch has been serviced, the owner may evaluate how much he's been wearing it and decide to sell rather than pay for service.

DaveK likes this.
  18. jaspers Dec 10, 2019