Forums Latest Members
  1. ibis888 Dec 18, 2015

I apologize if this has been discussed before, I did a search and didn't find much on the subject.

My new Speedmaster has a non-Omega replacement crystal that's in great shape (no scratches).

How important is an OEM Omega replacement crystal to the value of the watch? From a value perspective, is it worth the $90-$100 to replace the non-OEM crystal with an OEM crystal (I'll likely be taking it in for service regardless)?

I know from a personal pride/contentment standpoint it may be worth replacing (ie looking down and knowing that you have the crystal with the Omega logo on your watch), but I wonder about the value perspective.

Sorry for the poorly taken photo. The watch is a 145.022-69 with a pre-moon caseback.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited Dec 18, 2015
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2015

I'll let others comment about originality and prices/value. However there are technical reasons why a correct crystal is often something you really should have in a watch. Many Omega crystals (including for example the Cal. 861 and newer Speedmaster models) use crystals that have stepped tension rings. The vast majority of aftermarket acrylic crystals don't have this stepped ring.

When you place the movement in the case, depending on the way the movement is held, the dial often comes in contact with that tension ring, and the movement is located in the case by that ring. If you don't have a stepped ring, the movement does not go into the case as far as it should. This means the whole movement is shifted towards the back of the case.

In extreme cases this can cause rotor for automatic winding watches to touch case backs (I've had this happen, so it's not speculation), and also the stem will not come out of the case tube centered, although the crown will still go on the tube. This means you are flexing the stem every time the crown is rotated, and eventually it can work harden and snap off. How fast that happens depends on how much the stem and case tube are misaligned.

It can be possible to have the tension ring removed and placed in the aftermarket crystal, so even if the crustal is not right the ring might be. However that is certainly not guaranteed.

Just something to consider...I always use genuine crystals.

Cheers, Al

Etp095, PatrickJ, CajunTiger and 5 others like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 18, 2015

For the cost of the crystal relative to the cost of the watch, why wouldn't you?

PatrickJ and ibis888 like this.
  4. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 18, 2015

If you are taking it in for service anyways I personally would change the chrystal to an OEM one. Even more so given the Info by @Archer. Just search eBay for OEM crystals they can be found for less then 90-100$. I just bought one a Month ago for about ~ 65 $.

PatrickJ and ibis888 like this.
  5. ibis888 Dec 18, 2015

Thanks everyone, good advice.

6. watchtinker Dec 18, 2015

Notice that factory plexis do not necessarily bear the Omega logo.

ibis888 and SpeedyPete like this.
  7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Dec 18, 2015

Welcome back, Al! Missed you around here.

bigdubnick likes this.
  8. vinn2 Dec 18, 2015

original equipment - best for a quality watch. after market ,round, crystals have their place on older collectable watches.

9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 18, 2015

Welcome home @Archer. Good to have you back.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 18, 2015

Only as important as you want to make it. If you're OK with it your watch is too. As long as it's a good fit of course

11. pierre37 Dec 20, 2015

Are you sure ?
    I have a 1991´s speedmaster without the Omega logo in the plexi. The seller said that it was an original Omega plexi but I doubt about this.
    For me, all Omega plexi at least since the 60s bear the Omega logo

Alb765 likes this.
  12. watchtinker Dec 20, 2015

Absolutely. I have serviced hundreds if not thousands of them over the years and many original plexis did not bear the Omega logo. This applies to specimens from the Sixties until Nineties.
    Your Speedmaster might well be born as the seller stated.

Etp095 likes this.
  13. pierre37 Dec 21, 2015

Thank you very much for your answer

14. ibis888 Dec 21, 2015

Good info, thanks everyone.

15. gaf1958 Dec 21, 2015

One other thing that can happen with non genuine crystals is also due to the dial not being held in place correctly (or evenly). I had a megaquartz which kept stopping as the minute hand would hit the raised 2 o'clock hour marker. I assumed the hour hand was bent or fitted incorrectly, but my watchmaker showed me that the solution was as simple as having the correct crystal fitted, meaning the retaining ring held the dial evenly.
    I know I learned something that day! :)

Etp095 likes this.
  16. vinn2 Dec 21, 2015

on the earlier omegas the movement was held in the proper place in the case by two spring tabs. if one of these broke or was missing, the movement could float into the case back or crystal. the Hamilton used this ( very good) system also. I don't know about the newer watches, but for re-sale , it must have the right parts. - vinn