Forums Latest Members
  1. andyjrichardson1 Oct 3, 2013

Hi I have this Speedmaster, I've had a little look around the internet and it seems to be of some value (a straight lugs circa 1966) ,although knowing nothing about watches, I may have this completely wrong. I know very little about it's history (no paper work) it was given to my Father by an old friend of his, past to my brother and he then gave it to me.
    So my questions are :-
    Is it what I think it is, or what would be the best way to find out ?
    how do I check its history ?
    and what sort of value does it have?
    thanks andy omega-speedmaster.jpg

chas1133 likes this.
  2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 3, 2013

If I am not mistaken, it is a Speedmaster 105.003, Pre moon and Pre Professional (See no professional script below Speedmaster) with highly prized Caliber 321 movement.
    The case, dial and bezel seem in decent shape. The dial aged nicely.The hands might be later replacement. There is corrosion trace in crystal tension ring. Hope it doesn't go beyond that (inside case).
    Need to see the movement, caseback and inside case condition by opening the case back.
    There you will have the reference no of the watch inside case back and the movement serial no, which you can determine this watch's production year. If you want more detail history you can order Extract of Archive from Omega.

A proper service for your watch is in order. Before service DON'T try to run the watch. You might damage the movement which is difficult to source the part.

A decent 105.003 without bracelet will go from USD 3500 to 5000 depending on the condition and where you sell (hint US is lower than UK).
    WIth your current condition I would guess it will fetch between 3000 - 3500.

3. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Oct 3, 2013

Hi Andy, you have a pre pro Speedmaster that looks like the hands have been replaced. If you are going to keep it you should have someone like Archer service the movement and give it a sympathetic tidy up/cleaning. More pics would be helpful. Very nice watch.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

That's a nicely kept piece

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 3, 2013

I agree it looks likely to be a 105.003. While this is the least valuable straight lug reference, this one looks one of the most attractive I have seen for a while, the dial being just what I like. Others prefer a less patinated and more like new dial, I do not. I like this, and I suspect many others would too. Your photos are excellent, and that helps.

Again to underline what others have said, it needs attention to the movement before winding, or ASAP if you have already run it!

there are many people who will work on 321 calibre chronographs like this. And only two people that I would let near it. (Archer in US and STS in UK).

Let me clear. This is a special example.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

Nice example. It will need a service but you'll need to make sure that the movement doesn't have corrosion - a possibility based on the front picture of the watch that you've shown. If that is the case value will take a considerable hit.

7. andyjrichardson1 Oct 3, 2013

Thank you for the reply's
    Sorry to say I have been winding it, it works , although runs fast. Won't be winding it omega-2.jpg omega-4.jpg omega-5.jpg omega3.jpg again !
    With regard to removing the back, can that be done by any high street Jewellers?
    Unfortunately given present circumstances servicing and such looks likely to have to be left to its new owner .Have you any advise on where or who I should take it to with a view to selling it?I live in UK (Cornwall)
    Thanks andy

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

Very nice pics too, I wish all new members did photos that well!

9. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 3, 2013

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 3, 2013

sell it here. have it open by a watchmaker or watch savy friend; take a picture of the movement and the inner back. then everybody knows, what he `s getting himself into. without mvmt. picture you will loose money.....kind regards. achim .... the way it is now without pics., i`d offer you $ 3000.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 3, 2013

Many members in here would love to buy this watch from you. Good news, from your new pictures it seems no corrosion in the case.
    Opening the case back will reveal inner condition, which if you are lucky it would be in very good state. That would significantly improve your price.

I would be surprised, if within next 24 hours there is no one PM you giving offer ...... ;) Well heck there is already one open offer from Achim.

12. andyjrichardson1 Oct 4, 2013

Well, thank you all
    Lots to think about, 1st thing I'm going to do is find someone to get that back off and post the resulting pictures on here and hope for more advise from there.
    Thanks again andy

13. andyjrichardson1 Oct 7, 2013

Hi again
    Happy to say I've had the back of the watch taken off and here are the resulting pictures omega-back-cover.jpg omega-dust-cover.jpg omega-back-off.jpg

Railmaster1957 likes this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 7, 2013

OK I am right about 105.003. Your movement is very clean to my untrained eyes. Congrats. This is really good news for you.
    So it is only the retainer ring that has corrosion. You should replace it. Or you can just sell this as-is.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 7, 2013

Not bad at all

16. John R Smith Oct 7, 2013

There's lots of service history, as well, which is always a good thing. The movement looks great.

Are you really sure you want to sell it?