Forums Latest Members

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts... Perfect homage re-issue, or uninspired design team?

1. Superdoc May 26, 2015

When I first saw the new Basel FOIS, I really liked it...
    Not necessarily a must have for me, but one to consider...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Then, thumbing through the moonwatch only book... I find this :
    image.jpg

Limited to 40 pieces, exclusive to the Japanese market, released in 1997 to celebrate 40 years of Speedmaster ....
    The "Golden Panda"

I still don't know what I think of this....
    My initial reaction is disappointment...

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  2. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

It's effectively a re-release of the golden panda just more made with subtle changes. I spotted this when it was shown in Basel.

The steel FOIS is a nice watch and more closer to 'history' and they should have left it as it was with just the steel available.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 26, 2015

I like the original FOIS better than the new one personally. It certainly does look a bit uninspired along side that Japanese LE.

The new FOIS is not something that will be on my wrist me thinks. If anything from Basel 2015, it would be the '57.

PatrickJ and TLIGuy like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

The milking of the Speedmaster is not going to end any time soon....it's Omega's bread and butter.

Fusion and lenny like this.
  5. lillatroll May 26, 2015

The one nagging issue I have with watches that are updated is that I am often left torn between wanting the original version and up dated one. I was having this dilemma with the Omega Bullhead, but in the end I decided that when I have saved enough money I am going to go with the modern one because I like it more.
    In general I also think it gives people the chance to buy a model that they might not have been able to buy because of rarity, silly prices, or in the case of speedmasters, both. A case in point being the '57.

6. Superdoc May 26, 2015

I think I would have had more respect for it had they called it " the Golden Panda - Re-release"...

I have no problem with the '57, the Broad Arrow, SM300, or the Globemaster - all modernized re-editions...

But this seems like they were trying to get away with something...
    to offer this watch , call it a First omega in Space" and not even mention a near Identical watch produced almost 20 yrs ago seems wrong.

Especially when the Original Golden Panda was not meant to commemorate the space connection, but the birth of the Speedmaster - which was a racing watch. This design was later adapted into the Schumacher Special edition, which to me highlights the Racing feel to it.

I like the Watch, I just think that it "feels wrong"... the Ultimate "paint job"..

of course how many people even know or care about the Golden Panda... so it is a non-issue to most...but none of those people are on this forum...;)

bb58 and JohnSteed like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

I'd never even seen or heard of the Golden Panda until now, but then I only read the 321 Speedmaster pages of MWO, that's an interesting find but I wonder if there's any member that has one?

oddboy likes this.
  8. Superdoc May 26, 2015

I'm working on it...

JohnSteed, Nobel Prize and dsio like this.
  9. Davidt May 26, 2015

I'm not a fan of two tone watches but i did quite like the new straight lug this year and I agree, it's dissaponting to find out that it's at least partly, a rehash of an older design.

However, a bigger disappointment for me is the fact they completely overlooked the anniversary of Ed Whites EVA. Everything was there; the FOIS case and dial, the normal batton hands, the nasa style strap that comes with the new speedy pro and having seen what they did with the snoopy caseback, they could've done an amazing job with a mission patch caseback.

I guess the marketing pull with Apollo 13 is just too strong.

TLIGuy likes this.
  10. cristos71 May 26, 2015

When given a choice between a modern reinterpretation/re-issue at silly money and a real deal vintage version at silly money I would always go with the vintage choice. Two reasons: style and capital depreciation.;)

lillatroll likes this.
  11. gee_cee May 26, 2015

A YG cased Speedmaster just feels wrong to me..

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

styggpyggeno1 and micampe like this.
  13. gee_cee May 26, 2015

Archer likes this.
  14. ulackfocus May 26, 2015

Tools shouldn't be made of gold. Speedmasters are tool watches, so they should no more be made of gold than a hammer or drill.

persco likes this.
  15. Hijak May 26, 2015

To each his own...but I have to agree with Dennis!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. Paedipod May 26, 2015

how about this kind of golden hammer img-thing.jpeg pants that is....

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 26, 2015

Going back to the yellow panda re-issue I think we should slowly rid ourselves of the impression that Omega and other mid-high level brands are run by horological Jedis that hold the force and truth in their hands. These are global watch companies with huge international sales quotas to fulfill. If they could sell a "dark side of Ed Whites shorts" (limited edition of course) they would.

Uninspired , yes, but as long as the 0,s keep adding up on the right side of the dot they're going to keep at it, as they always have. But every now and then they hit the target in such a way that it resonates beyond the board room. We just have to wait for those times and enjoy the ride.

gee_cee, persco and Superdoc like this.
  18. TLIGuy May 26, 2015

Hey...Have I mentioned I'm still really bitter about this little slight to Gemini 4?

font 125 copy.jpg

oddboy likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2015

I'm a fan of gold sports watches, just don't have one yet for some reason as I keep buying dress watches in gold.

20. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude May 26, 2015

I don't usually look too hard at the new offerings from Omega.

Is the two hashes per second a recent development or specific to this watch?
    I assume it's a purely aesthetic decision, and one that won't affect the timing of 99.99999% of owners, but it's beginning to look a little odd to me.