Forums Latest Members

Ignorant or just rude? - Deco Watches New York..

1. gee_cee Dec 12, 2016

Anyone else had experiences like this, or with this dealer in particular? It just staggers me that dealers can be so off with potential customers. I was over in NY last week for a few days and happened upon his shop on 5th Avenue. I've been on the look-out for a 16610LV Submariner (the 50th anniversary green bezel model, aka the Kermit) back in the UK, but I haven't been having much luck finding a decent one and was keeping my eyes peeled while I was away, and spotted one in his window.

I went in and he was sat chatting with another bloke at the back of the shop. I mentioned I was interested in the LV and got a "What do you want to know".

I asked if it had boxes or papers, and what year it was (If genuine, it was an earlier 'flat 4' bezel model).

"No boxes or papers." was all I got back.

"And the year..?" I asked.

"2000." his reply.

"Are you sure?!" I said. "They didn't start making this model until 2003..?"

"2000" he repeated, without looking up.

I said goodbye and left.

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 12, 2016

Let me guess : you were wearing a surfer T-shirt and sneakers, right? :whistling:

3. akshayluc420 Dec 12, 2016

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. gee_cee Dec 12, 2016

In December in NY...? You're thinking of the naked cowboy who hangs around Times Sq, no..?

Quite smartly dressed actually, not that that should have made any difference. If the guy had bothered to look up at any point he might have noticed I was also wearing quite a decent watch that day; again, not that that should have mattered.

kov likes this.
  5. terryb111 Dec 12, 2016

Id phone up and ask to speak to the owner. Mind you, with that sort of attitude it probably was the owner

George.A, Willem023, efauser and 3 others like this.
  6. gee_cee Dec 12, 2016

I'm sure he was. Small, one-man-band type of store.

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 12, 2016

You made the same move I'd have done. As for him...

IMG_4976.JPG

Nitzbar, wsfarrell, efauser and 6 others like this.
  8. bill5959 Dec 12, 2016

You were in the US, in NYC? You got the polite treatment. Whatever he's selling, it may not be watches.

SmokyT, Darlinboy, LouS and 6 others like this.
  9. meganfox17 Dec 12, 2016

What ? By the whiskers of Kurvi -Tasch , no photographs ?[​IMG][​IMG]Heck ! I'll add in the Green Lantern too...[​IMG]

I was trying to figure out why that Rude New Yorker insisted it was from 2000 with no box or papers presuming he was right all along

My theory is that what he has is actually a Rolex Sub 16610 black bezel from 2000 which is interchangeable with the Kermit bezel of 2003[​IMG][​IMG]
    Can any0ne prove my theory or am I bullshitting here ?

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. gee_cee Dec 12, 2016

Would a 16610 from 2000 have a maxi dial & maxi hands?? This one definitely did.

Nice effort with the pics by the way. I was too busy being indignant to take any at the time :)

11. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2016

Rude? In NYC? Nuh-uh, I'd NEVER believe that. :rolleyes: :p

Look, I'm not defending the guy, but I can tell you if he's been in any type of retail that deals with the general public for more than a few years he probably hates people. Then add that he's in NYC, the rude capital of the East Coast, so multiply that disdain for the public exponentially. The guy probably gets questions from tire kickers all day long and is fed up with it - especially around the holidays.

Here's an important question: Are you actually planning on buying a watch while you're here? If so, then go buy it elsewhere and stop back in his shop to show him the $$$$ you gave to somebody else because he was a dick. If not, then I admire the guy because his Spider Sense sniffed you out as a tire kicker immediately. :D :taunt:

Edited Dec 12, 2016
    Jwit, KingTriton32, Jaacck and 5 others like this.
  12. terryb111 Dec 12, 2016

That's a completely different way of looking at it @ulackfocus

kov likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2016

There's 3 sides to every story - person A's, person B's, and the truth.

I've been in retail for a LOOOOOONG time, and you get a sense for the serious buyer versus the waste of timer within a minute of talking to them.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm rude to the WOTs. I wait until they leave to express my opinions. :p :p :p

Lonestar and kov like this.
  14. duc Dec 12, 2016

Being polite doesn't cost anything and doesn't hurt. Even if it is a tire kicker moment, the shop attendant should at least demonstrate some interest and politeness, however feigned it might be.

You know what they say, sincerity and honesty is all you need. The sooner you learn to fake them, the better off you'll be.:cautious:

Vitezi likes this.
  15. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 12, 2016

That's now a level anybody should tend to reach. :D

16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 12, 2016

The correct thing to do is just leave the shop. It's the golden rule He who has the gold rules. Since he did not want your gold his loss your gain. You left his shop without dropping any coin. So in my book you won.

17. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 12, 2016

Stay away from 47th

18. gee_cee Dec 12, 2016

This wasn't some shop assistant in a large store (or I probably wouldn't have been so bothered or have posted about it), it's a small pre-owned jewellery & watch dealers, and he was clearly the main man, as he was the only man. I phoned two of my credit card companies before the trip to advise I may be making a large purchase while overseas, so yeah, I was seriously looking..

Oh and I know NY reasonably well and I don't think it's inhabitants are particularly any more or less rude than any other large city, contrary to the cliche.

Oh my I did the rounds there too, although it's such a circus you at least have some idea of what to expect going in!

19. Adamh Dec 12, 2016

To be completely honest, that's pretty much what to expect from a NYC retailer. No , he wasn't having a bad day, and no, he wasn't trying to be rude. He probably didn't even realize that he came off as rude. That's just how people interact around here (I work in "the city"). I'm always taken aback by how polite and friendly people are when I'm not in NYC. Also, keep in mind that people in shops often warm up once you are a regular.

Edited Dec 12, 2016
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 12, 2016

What shop is this? 5th avenue and what? I don't know it, and I have done my share of prospecting in this town.