Forums Latest Members

If You Are Looking For an Exceptional Speedmaster 105.012-66 CB...

1. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

If you are in the market for an exceptional example of an Omega Speedmaster 105.012-66 CB case check out the one for sale at Brussels Vintage Watches.

The watch was purchased from the first owner’s family and is a full set : it comes with its original box and papers, and also its extract of archives and Omega service papers from July 2020.

Yes, the original flat foot crown was replaced and there is no bracelet, but original crowns are still out there. Matching patina and slight degradation of lume plots, but very attractive dial. One of the nicest I’ve seen.

Price is by request, but if you’re a serious collector and have some spare change... take a look.
    F2C3FC11-1CF2-49FC-9C04-615A587623BC.jpeg 2C7A0353-AB2B-422D-8053-B5FFC8184FDB.jpeg A7BF9DE4-E20F-4B47-9651-5EF304934CFE.jpeg BCAB5DA3-9D00-47CA-A2FA-C825AF9FF908.jpeg

https://brusselsvintagewatches.com/...r-pre-moon-105-012-66cb-full-set-first-owner/

2. Passover Nov 14, 2020

and the pushers ;)

Dan S and SpeedyPhill like this.
  3. Dan S Nov 14, 2020

This watch has a lot of condition issues. The only thing that really intrigues me is the full set, but that wouldn't be enough.

kov and Passover like this.
  4. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

Yes, you are correct, but, considering Omega returns old parts... if you zoom in on the little plastic bag to the right of the original box, you will notice, I believe, the original crown and pushers.
    Hopefully they can be re-fitted to the watch.
    E0CDDBF7-80A4-4786-8151-AF498DED3801.jpeg

JimJupiter likes this.
  5. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

Depends on the price...issues... bezel faded to brown, plots ( I like dark patina ), crown and pushers replaced ( but, parts appear in bag.. definitely crown) no bracelet.

Still great case and case back

6. wsfarrell Nov 14, 2020

Interesting package, but on principle I refuse to deal with "price on request" offerings.

7. Dan S Nov 14, 2020

To me, the case is also mediocre, since I don't particularly like the way it's been polished. It's just ok all around for me, nothing exceptional, and based on the hyperbole in the listing, I don't expect it to be a bargain.

That's what makes the world go round, I guess. We all see things differently.

8. repoman Nov 14, 2020

I didn’t make it past “Omega serviced”, I began weeping.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2020

Given the watchmakers marks inside the caseback, I'm not going to assume that the original pushers and crown made it past the first service and into the little parts bag in these photos...

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Oh my.

OP You really need to look closer before throwing your weight behind this watch and calling it exceptional. It looks like you work for the seller or have a vested interest.

the is watch is not exceptional and in fact I would say it’s a classic example of box and paper blindness.

look at the facet lines, are they straight? No.

the pushers are service. Doesn’t matter if they are returned because removing them often kills them - especially if the remover is not treasuring them.

The dial body is good, but the plots are of variable quality- a little dirty in parts. Not excellent.

bezel is damaged. Not excellent.

still I am happy you posted it - it’s a great example of what not to buy unless it’s appropriately priced.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 14, 2020

Yeah, that just doesn't look good. Kind of kills the attraction of a 50+ year old watch for me.

12. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

Dan, do you think Omega polished the case... more reasons not to send vintage watches to Omega... but, look at caseback... it’s super crisp and appears to be a scratch... why wouldn’t Omega polish out? Line angles look sharp to me. Curious, what makes you think polished... I respect your opinion and others. Thanks A6B70543-9143-4ECD-9A53-E5B424EC9F11.jpeg

13. Dan S Nov 14, 2020

The case-back edge is not sharp in my opinion, and you can see that someone has attempted to polish out the scratches.

14. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

I’m always happy to admit I’m wrong... no, I don’t work for the seller or have a vested interest, just mistakenly, obviously, thought I found an exceptional example to show to the Forum. I messed up... never said I was perfect and I’m learning. And, you, of all the members, I respect your opinion very highly. I admire all your work on Speedmaster 101 and if you say it isn’t excellent... I believe. Does have a nice caseback... right? I’m going to take a closer look at facet lines too. I’ve attached a close up of a facet line... is this one straight? Looks fairly straight to me. Just trying to learn and understand as I did think it was an excellent example, now down to good minus or fair plus?

Thank you for your opinion.
    9CEEEE1C-B2EC-483C-8887-CEF4C2AA4F2B.jpeg 31C634CA-1688-4EFF-B428-41C99575C1A4.jpeg

Edited Nov 14, 2020
    Shabbaz and Scooterino36 like this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Don’t get me wrong - I admire your enthusiasm.

And also we must not overlook that we are writing messages and sometimes forum posts can come across without the friendliness that a spoken word would have, and that I intend in all my posts. So sorry if I was a bit brusque.

It is just that in the OP you twice exhorted a potential buyer to pursue this watch because it was so especially fine.

It has a lot to teach us, and without you posting it we would not be able to learn.

I was out shopping with the wife when I read the post (how else do we get through that experience?) and nearly choked on the "Keep the husband Quiet" Expresso, sitting on the dad sofa, when I read the op.

Its not a bad watch, its just not a watch a collector with any experience will covet, and will always need to be sold on price. It is not the kind of watch that can be overpriced because there is nothing wrong with it, and that is what I call Excellent.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Ok and now I have to say I was wrong to point out the facet line on the top lug not being straight. They are not. I did not express myself in the heat of the moment.

My intuition was ringing but its the top lug line that is not straight, a little rounded, and that indicates work done.

Here is an example of Excellent. No longer mine, but its still the best one I have seen....Apart from the one I kept...Excuse the dirt

2019-10-17 15-20-53 (C).jpg
    Things to look at:
    Fine lines running along the top of the lugs
    Defined top facet lines. (Lighting hides the one on the 7 lug)
    Bezel without flaws
    Dial without flaws
    Lume without flaws
    Fat neck pushers without too much dirt or gunge
    Bracelet

Now there is one step above this, NOS. And this is a long way from NOS.

Sorry about all the dust and dirt, the photo was internal never meant for public showing - I sold it to a friend and frankly its a regretted sale.

17. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

I was never offended and didn't feel you were brusque. Although I consider myself more knowledgeable then the average person when it comes to Speedmasters, I am no expert and still happy to learn. What I have learned is that there are very, very few exceptional CB cases out there, and fewer still that have never been polished and are mint. It's all in the details. I am positive that the dealer did not send to Omega, but rather, the family that owned the watch at the time. So, yes, lessons to be learned. Don't send vintage watches to Omega to be serviced, it's all about the details and look closer at the line angles ( straight and tight ), at the pusher necks, dial, etc... . Learn to recognize a polished case and an unpolished case... still working on that. Don't believe everything you read. Box and papers aren't everything.

A good lesson for many of us. Thanks

murph likes this.
  18. Servius Nov 14, 2020

@Marsimaxam

At least this thread is getting educational for a lot of us... Got to thank you for that ;)

Marsimaxam, murph and Scooterino36 like this.
  19. Shabbaz Nov 14, 2020

Is'nt this the website of @Pianist ?

befobe likes this.
  20. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

Continuing our education. I found an image of what is according to a reputable member of the forum, an unpolished CB case. I see the facet line on top of the lug, the brush finish and what appears to be another line angle that runs down the side of the lug, creating a wide obtuse angle with the top facet... it is this line that is usually absent in polished cases as well as the top facet not being as defined and the brush finish more polished.

Is this correct? See image
    663D1691-33A2-4DD0-B8EF-3C1A2DD4A5AE.jpeg
    Image from FS post by Ndgal