Forums Latest Members

Identity theft? Why do sellers block the serial numbers?

1. redpcar Feb 23, 2015

Maybe I'm missing something here but why do sellers block the full serial numbers of their watches?

2. Psych Feb 23, 2015

I presume it is because they worry that fraudsters will steal the identity of the watch and use this in nefarious scams. I don't really understand how this could come back to hurt the seller/owner though.

But I'm a practising psychiatrist with a particular interest in the treatment of people who suffer persecutory delusions, so maybe I see things a little differently.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2015

well, if there are 16 watches with the same serial floating around the internet it certainly makes it a bit more complicated to spot and sell the authentic one. Bare in mind that with the advent of random serials etc it is not always easy for replica's to match the right serial to the right model, dial color, year etc so why make the job easier by basically giving them an open source where they can narrow down to the t what serial belongs to what watch?

4. Pvt-Public Feb 23, 2015

Doesn't always come back to mommy didn't love or nurture me enough? Sorry, I just had too ;)

5. chickenman26 Feb 23, 2015

You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you...

6. the future Feb 23, 2015

I think some people also worry that if the full number is listed, someone will go to a police station and say "my omega speedmaster, serial # xxxxxxxxx has been stolen, and this person is now trying to sell it online". Not sure how far that would actually go, but I've seen people state it as a concern.

redpcar likes this.
  7. redpcar Feb 23, 2015

Good point!

8. John R Smith Feb 23, 2015

It wouldn't go anywhere at all, unless the person making the claim had solid proof of ownership. I think that people with this obsessive concern over serial numbers in some way feel threatened by giving other people detailed knowledge about them or their possessions, which is doubtless a mild form of paranoia . . . ;)

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 23, 2015

Wouldn't they need to prove that they had purchased it first? I mean, yeah, it might still be a colossal pain in the butt to have to deal with, but I can't see it being that easy..

10. the future Feb 23, 2015

I tend to agree, but I'll play devil's advocate. I'm sure meticulous record keepers have receipts for all of their watches which include descriptions and a notation of the serial number. That said, many of us probably have no documentation at all showing legal ownership of at least some of our watches, especially vintage ones. It's not that much of a stretch to imagine a dishonest person fabricating a paper trail showing (fraudulent) ownership, including the serial number. Some crooks would probably see it as being worth the effort for higher value watches. If the true owner has no paperwork at all, it could be a big headache to prove ownership, at least...

11. richardew Feb 23, 2015

The paranoids have been after me for some time now. I wish you would help them and get them to leave me alone!
    I don't show photos of the last 3 digits of my watch s/n but I don't really know why. It's not like they are going to steal my watches identity.

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 23, 2015

I do it so fraudsters can't provide any further clarity as to the watch when trying to lure their next victim. If a legitimate buyer asks me to reveal one more digit I can do so to oblige their request or provide another photo which proves ownership but a fraudster can't do so. Remember when buying a watch check references and legitimacy of the seller and not let your heart override logic. Now this doesn't make anything 100% foolproof so take this word of advice as your will. These are expensive pieces and much like buying a preowned vehicle or anything preowned do your homework. Have a wonderful day.