Forums Latest Members
  1. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

This vintage Omega Constellation was given to me by my grandfather, who received it early '60 after he worked for 20 years as a financial director for a large company. I'd like to know more about the watch, strap and the value. Can anyone help me?
    constellation.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

We really need some better photos, a close up, focused photo of the dial, and if possible if you could get a photo of the inside of the caseback and movement that would help too, but don't try to open it yourself, only do that with a jeweller's help.

What you've got is a Constellation, could be either gold-cap or solid gold, not sure which from the photos, a picture of the back of the watch would help in that regard (even with the caseback on). Its a Pie-Pan which is a plus, and its a crosshair dial, which is a plus. We can't tell if the dial is original without a closer and more clear photo but if it is original, that's a very nice example of a very popular watch.

3. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

back.JPG front.JPG

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

OK, that's a solid gold watch, very nice! Can you take some shots of the markings on the inside of the bracelet clasp? Its probably not original but might well be solid gold too

5. astrosfan Dec 8, 2012

Nice Connie man! Heirloom watches are the best, wear it well!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Look how sharp the edge is on the bevelling of the bezel... don't ever polish that watch!

7. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

Thank you so much for helping! There are no markings on the bracelet, I already suspected this was not an original one, because I couldn't find pictures of it on the internet. I just had it tested by the local jeweller, he told me it was of a high quality solid gold and that the watch was worth much more than I thought, so he adviced me to take it to an expert. My grandfather gave it to me to sell so I can pay for university, but I'm a bit in shock now...

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Its not going to pay for university, but personally I'd keep it if it were me. I'd sell the bracelet, its probably over a thousand alone if its 18K gold, but then I'd put the watch on a high quality strap and keep it for special occasions. Money comes and goes, but when your grandfather is no longer with you there are few things that will help you remember him as well as this Constellation.

9. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

That is exactly what I was thinking and selling the bracelet is enough for my education. What kind of strap do you recommend?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Hirsch make nice straps in a variety of colours at an affordable price, you can easily get one off ebay with a matching gold plated buckle.

11. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

Thanks a lot, that is the perfect sollution and you really made my day

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

By the way, you need to preserve this watch, few points:

Don't ever get it wet, not even slightly
    Don't ever get it polished, or have the dial touched
    Don't get it serviced by anyone except an independent, vintage expert watchmaker
    Don't ever change straps or take the caseback off yourself, let a jeweller or watchmaker do it

13. Maria Guest Dec 8, 2012

I will definitely take your advice to heart, thanks!

14. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2012

It's a caliber 561 and a reference 14.9xx from the early 60's, and would sell for a couple grand probably, and more if the bracelet is solid gold.

15. trim Dec 8, 2012

So glad you're keeping it. :thumbsup:

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2012

Uh, actually it looks to be a Ref. 14393, also with a cal. 561. There's a similar watch for sale on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961s-OMEGA...SOLID-GOLD-AUTO-DATE-MENS-WATCH-/271117624479Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

Don't go by the "buy-it-now" price as an indication of the value of your watch. Yours is in better overall condition and it has black onyx inserts, which makes it a lot more desireable that that eBay watch. You also have the original crown, which the above example doesn't have.

All in all a very nice gift and I hope you are able to keep it for many years to come,
    gatorcpa