Forums Latest Members
  1. bmosko01 Jan 13, 2020

Hi all, relatively new to the forum and hoping folks can help me identify two Omega watches found in a cleanup of items left to us by my grandfather.

I’m pretty sure the band on the Seamaster is not original, and haven't opened either up to check the condition of the mechanics, although they seem to be keeping time properly after a bit of winding.

Would love to get them restored, so if anyone has recommendations for authorized Omega restoration in the NYC area, would love suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

23DD7984-0141-4452-979B-D50BE264DCD2.jpeg ECFE23BB-9D8A-45A8-B346-3941A782231F.jpeg B44F39E0-9EA1-433B-A060-DFF02E0CA8BB.jpeg 08D67CF7-3B56-44C5-A103-E51860756974.jpeg 88CE0992-0589-42C9-9F9E-40D89737C486.jpeg
    Syrte and OMEGuy like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 13, 2020

From the looks of those watches, I wouldn't do anything more than a full service (no case polishing). Also, get that Speidel bracelet off the Seamaster. They have a nasty habit of tearing up the lugs.
    Someone will be along with recommendations. One piece of advice: Do not send to Omega!

Edited Jan 13, 2020
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 13, 2020

Since the ends of that bracelet are not sprung, you're likely fine if you want to keep it. It is, however, aftermarket, and you may be able to find a good strap or genuine Omega bracelet that fits well.

As for where to take it, you can take it anywhere you want, including Omega, depending on your goals. I prefer to have a full movement service with new mainspring, new genuine crystal, and if necessary for water resistance, crown and crown tube. Many people who consider themselves collectors frequently omit the crystal replacement and crown replacement, knowing that the water resistance is compromised. Omega includes case refinishing with their service, which many here recommend against. The crown they use may not match what you currently have.

Unless you can find an absolute artist with a buffer, it is usually safer to use no more than a rouge cloth with these cases. I personally hand-polish with Simichrome, which has a mild abrasive but can smooth over some of the worst scratches.

New York has many qualified watchmakers; start asking your friends for recommendations. The nearest Omega service center to you is in Secaucus, New Jersey, should you choose.

Both watches look like good original examples in excellent condition for their age. Let's hope some New York residents share their favorite watchmakers with you.

Tom

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 13, 2020

The identifying marks, by the way, are on the inside. I would not recommend you open them yourself. When you find a watchmaker, ask to have them opened so you can get the reference numbers from the caseback and caliber and serial from the movement.

Tom

5. wozo58 Jan 13, 2020

I’m looking to get my ‘52 omega serviced as well. I’m also in the NYC area. I’ll be sitting in the background waiting for replies!

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 13, 2020

They may not be sprung any more (the spring loaded tubes have been removed), but the bracelet is still chewing at the lugs.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.43.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.41.39 AM.png

It will look much nicer on a strap.

UncleBuck and Vitezi like this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 13, 2020

There never were sprung tubes. Observe the witness marks where the jeweler would break or cut the excess off to fit the customer's watch.

The damage is already done. I would prefer a different bracelet or strap, and sort of intimated that.

Tom

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 14, 2020

I based my comment on the fact that the centre tab used to hold the springs and tubes to keep the bracelet "on centre" has been removed, see top pic.

I've noticed this feature on a number of Spiedel flexi bracelets, don't know if it's unique to Spiedels.

Unless we get forensic quality photos we will never know.

Not that it's an issue, a strap would be much nicer.

9. bmosko01 Jan 14, 2020

Thanks to all those who responded. Learning quite a bit as I peruse the forum a bit more. Taking it over to a watchmaker this week and will certainly share any information learned about the provenance of the watches (and hopefully a few more photos once work is completed and new straps are put in place).

Cheers!