Identifying my inherited Vintage Omega

Your watch is lovely - it is all original and it is not a suveran like this individual suggested. It does not have a name as such, but we collectors refer to these watches by their movement calibre which is 30T2. Black dials are perhaps more rare than others but I believe this to be original. They came with a huge variety of dials, so many in fact that I do not believe anyone has ever managed to catalogue them all. That is what makes this such an exciting range of watches that were made from around 1939 and well into the mid to late 40s before the movement saw some small modifications (and a rename). Interestingly one of the examples you showed from your research was once owned by me as that was one of my photos haha - but that's by the by - the one with the black dial I believe to be innaccurately described as from the mid 30s, and rather is probably from 1939 at the earliest. With regards to £500 to service - that's double what I paid for my last 30T2 to be serviced a couple of months ago. Anyway, lovely story, lovely photos - a lovely momento 😀
You have all been really generous with pertinent and factual information, I’m incredibly grateful to you all. with no knowledge of the watch, I’ve learnt so much from this forum. The more that I look at the watch and how I remember my grandfather, I don’t believe he would have fiddled about with the watch. Other than wear and tear, I imagine the watch is original as to when he bought it. I’ve had it for 41 years and polishing the glass last week is all the love and attention it’s had in that time. I think the movement is possibly got a lifetime of dirt that needs cleaning in order to bring the watch back to life.
It won’t wind and I won’t force it.

You have all been really generous with pertinent and factual information, I’m incredibly grateful to you all. with no knowledge of the watch, I’ve learnt so much from this forum. The more that I look at the watch and how I remember my grandfather, I don’t believe he would have fiddled about with the watch. Other than wear and tear, I imagine the watch is original as to when he bought it. I’ve had it for 41 years and polishing the glass last week is all the love and attention it’s had in that time. I think the movement is possibly got a lifetime of dirt that needs cleaning in order to bring the watch back to life.

welcome to the forum, now with a strap your watch looks just fine on your wrist 👍 And if you wanted to give it a tad more presence you could put it on a bund strap. I’ll try to find a picture of what a bund strap looks like, but i also wanted to show you below a few pictures of a woman (myself) wearing vintage watches from the same era as your grand father’s watch.

One more thought, is there any chance the greenish color you’ve observed from certain angles comes from the crystal which, being acrylic ie plastic, might have yellowed with age? I seem to recall one of your pictures showing the crystal from the side and the color seems to have turned a bit, which can happen to vintage watch crystals.

The bund strap is the last picture, and I’ve added one of my microscopic ladies watches, which has a case very similar to your grand father’s watch.
also the watch on the bund strap is actually not from the same era, it’s a US issued watch from the korean war era.

welcome to the forum, now with a strap your watch looks just fine on your wrist 👍 And if you wanted to give it a tad more presence you could put it on a bund strap. I’ll try to find a picture of what a bund strap looks like, but i also wanted to show you below a few pictures of a woman (myself) wearing vintage watches from the same era as your grand father’s watch.

One more thought, is there any chance the greenish color you’ve observed from certain angles comes from the crystal which, being acrylic ie plastic, might have yellowed with age? I seem to recall one of your pictures showing the crystal from the side and the color seems to have turned a bit, which can happen to vintage watch crystals.

The bund strap is the last picture, and I’ve added one of my microscopic ladies watches, which has a case very similar to your grand father’s watch.
also the watch on the bund strap is actually not from the same era, it’s a US issued watch from the korean war era.
Thanks for that info, much appreciated.
Back in the 1980’s when I was a Short Service Army Officer, I had a nylon strap similar to a leather Bund Strap that also protected the watch glass.

Thanks for that info, much appreciated.
Back in the 1980’s when I was a Short Service Army Officer, I had a nylon strap similar to a leather Bund Strap that also protected the watch glass.

This looks great to me - you do have larger wrists than myself, but I still think the size is absolutely suitable for you to enjoy wearing it too, and doesn't look 'feminine' as some may fear when they first wear a smaller watch! I think the black dial in particular gives it quite the masculine edge! 😀

PS those pictures were just in case you’d want to give your daughter some ideas 😉

I wear my late dad’s old digital Seiko on his birthday, not my kind of watch at all so it only gets used once a year. Maybe you could do similar.

I wear my late dad’s old digital Seiko on his birthday, not my kind of watch at all so it only gets used once a year. Maybe you could do similar.
That is a great idea!

Dad would have said publicly: “What a load of shit!”……… but secretly he would be well chuffed with the sentiment