Forums Latest Members
  1. Hands90 Nov 29, 2017

Hello everyone.

I've been looking at this watch.
    20171129_201014.jpg

This is an unsigned pocket watch with a cylinder escapement. It looks very old.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 29, 2017

It's the back of a pocket watch bearing a famous name, but also lacking another famous name.

I doubt that the watch pre-dates 1819 when the two names became the one "haute horlogerie" brand that exists today.

Another interesting thing is that watches with illustrious reputations have been faked for many many years, even as far back as the mid 19th century.

Do you have any more information and pictures?

I'll go and get a coffee.

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 29, 2017

10 bucks it has 8 jewels ( well it is in the name) and looks like this inside with an unsigned dial.

Vacheron4.jpg
    ::popcorn::

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. Professor Nov 29, 2017

I've seen a very similar movement recently.
    Doubt I can find it again but I'll look.

What does the dial look like?

5. Canuck Nov 29, 2017

Swiss watches of the era this one is from are next to impossible to identify most of the time. They came to see the light of day as a result of numerous specialty manufacturers that produced only a few of the parts. Wheel makers, pinion makers, escapement makers, screw makers, plate makers, etc etc. The parts being gathered in a shop somewhere, and assembled into a running watch. This one has a cylindr escapement- a type of escapement the Swiss stuck with for decades, after watchmakers elsewhere had abandoned it. Why? Because it was cheap. You’re “looking at it”, as in contemplating buying it? Good luck finding someone who can fix it when the time comes.

Waltesefalcon and BenBagbag like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 29, 2017

Better shot of a generic movement from the period. You can clearly see the escape cylinder.

8jCylinder.jpg

Waltesefalcon and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Waltesefalcon Dec 1, 2017

If you are looking at getting a late 19th century watch I'd say go with American, they are typically much better made than Swiss ones and lever escapements became the norm here long before they did in Switzerland.

sxl2004 likes this.
  8. Waltesefalcon Dec 1, 2017

Also a cylinder escapement is easier to break due to shock as the balance staff is recessed so much to accept the escape wheel, and they aren't nearly as accurate as a lever escapement.