Forums Latest Members

Identify Pocket Watch from Grandfather in law

1. Sublime_1 Nov 7, 2020

Hey everyone! My wife's Grandmother sadly passed away week before last and while helping pack her things I was gifted this pocket watch that was my wife's Grandfather's watch. No one really knows anything about it but it was a nice gift and thought I'd share it with the community. If anyone knows anything about these pocket watches please, do tell.
    WIN_20201107_14_36_59_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20201107_14_33_52_Pro.jpg

Thrasher36 likes this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 7, 2020

Nice old watch but...

Movement shots required!

3. Sublime_1 Nov 7, 2020

I just don't know about attempting that. lol. Looks like it's screw down but I don't have anything large enough for it in my amateur tool kit.

4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Nov 7, 2020

Does the back just unscrew? Some were snap on though. Don’t force it if it isn’t going your way, a jeweller or watchmaker can open it for you.

5. wagudc Nov 7, 2020

6. Canuck Nov 7, 2020

Most likely a modern Eta 6497. Substantial, perform well, easy to work on, but ::yawn:: . Also known as Unitas 6497. Made by the millions for probably over about 70 years or so. Maybe vintage, but not antique. Still being produced which tends to reflect its value for re-sale. Sentimental value? High. Collectibility no comment. This movement shows up behind dials with countless names. Modern Tissot pocket watches incorporate this movement into many of their pocket watches. This is (of course) assuming that it is an Eta 6497. The only way we’ll know is to see what’s in the case.

wagudc likes this.
  7. Sublime_1 Nov 8, 2020

Thank you for this. I don't care about the value. A gift isn't given to be sold for profit. As far as getting the back off, it's in really good shape and I'm afraid I'll damage the case trying and the only watchmaker in my town went out of business. This one will have to be put on the back burner for now.

That's what I was guessing. 50s-60s based on what little info I could find. Thanks for looking.

8. Canuck Nov 8, 2020

I am 99 44/100 % sure that is a screw on back. Maybe a rubber grip disc from your spouse’s knife drawer would help remove it. It’s hard to contemplate what damage might occur.

DaveK likes this.
  9. Webwatchmaker Nov 10, 2020

Use an eyeglass to look around the joint between the case centre and case back. If there is a little cutaway section for an opening knife, usually found 20 degrees or so down from the winder, then you know it is a snap off back. Where it is important for the engraving on the back to line up correctly, it would be unusual to have a screw back case.