Forums Latest Members
  1. ro_jay May 3, 2020

Hi all,

I recently inherited a vintage Omega from my father and was hoping for some help identifying the model, if it's real or not, and how much it might cost to get repaired, or if it's worth it. It winds up and works great and keeps good time. There is a bit of rust, some (quite a bit) of discolouration on the face, and a crack on the glass.

I've taken some photos to show as much detail as I can. There are some engravings on the inside of the back case which I've tried to interpret as best I can, however there were some that were illegible.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Ro_Jay

IMG_9710.jpg IMG_9712.jpg IMG_9713.jpg IMG_9714.jpg IMG_9716.jpg IMG_9718.jpg

timecube likes this.
  2. timecube May 3, 2020

The serial number dates it to ~ 1947 1949 (thanks DanS).
    It's great that it's working and keeping time- but if you want to continue using it, sending it off for servicing would be STRONGLY recommended. Aside from the obvious rust, lubrication on the bearings is almost certainly gone, and keeping it running without servicing/cleaning will cause further damage to its workings.

The handwritten numbers you see reference times when its been serviced in the past. Any official markings from Omega would be stamped, not scratched. That your father had it done multiple times is an excellent sign- however, if its been more than a few years since the last service (and definitely, with the current condition of the mechanism) it needs a refresh.

As for "what it's worth", not very much in sales/trade value. Nearly all its value is sentimental- in relation to your father. Servicing is likely to be on the order of a few hundred dollars USD; possibly more if there are damaged parts that need replacing. A new crystal shouldn't be expensive. You could probably buy a "new" vintage Omega of similar provenance for around the cost of service. Only you can decide if it's worth doing.

ro_jay, DaveK and Dan S like this.
  3. Dan S May 3, 2020

Those hand-engravings are not important, just records left by watchmakers who serviced the watch over the years. I'm having some trouble making out the numbers in the movement but it appears to be a cal 283 movement. The serial number looks like 11818182, which would be approximately 1949. It's a full stainless steel case. So all in all, the watch is of good quality, which unfortunately does not translate to value. So in terms of quality, it's worth repairing. In terms of financial value, it's not as clear, because of the condition of the dial. However, I am assuming that the sentimental value is significant.

The cracked crystal can just be replaced for little cost, and if you invested in a movement service, it would probably be a nice heirloom. The cost of a service can vary a lot depending on where you live and what access you have to an independent watchmaker. To put a very rough number on it, let's say something like $150-$350 USD for a basic service. If the watchmaker finds that he needs to replace broken parts, that cost will be added on. It's guesswork for me even for me to give you a number, not knowing your location and circumstances.

I think that the hands may not be the original ones, but the biggest issue is the condition of the dial, which has a fair amount of damage and staining, which really can't be improved very easily. That's going to be your decision about whether you can tolerate it. If the cost isn't prohibitive for you, my inclination would be to get it cleaned up and serviced, with the understanding that the value is mainly sentimental. With luck, the dial might clean up a little, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited May 3, 2020
    ro_jay and timecube like this.