Forums Latest Members

Idea for new thread... Watchmaker Profiles & Reviews

1. Mathlar Feb 14, 2014

Since we get asked about watchmakers so frequently, could we perhaps have a new section for recommending watch makers? I need to put a couple of reviews up, and it'd be handy to have an area where I can post the pictures and a description of the service I received.

What do people think of this idea?

2. Watchguy31-us Feb 14, 2014

I love it! I think we all have someone we would recommend....and it probably could help out those individuals new to the hobby. I know it took me a year , and hundreds / thousands of wasted dollars to find a great watchmaker.

3. Tritium Feb 14, 2014

Great idea:thumbsup:

4. Hijak Feb 14, 2014

+1 on that, thanks for doing this!:thumbsup:

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 14, 2014

Great idea. if possible structured based on geography..... I know we can send watch overseas to get serviced, but most people would like it to be done locally.

watchme likes this.
  6. Mathlar Feb 14, 2014

A few resounding yesses there.. and I'm sure there will be more. What do the officials say.. Ash, Dennis, Trev? dsio, ulackfocus, Trev?

7. ulackfocus Feb 14, 2014

I like it, but there would be details to iron out.

8. Watchguy31-us Feb 14, 2014

Yeah, the more I think about it....the more issues I can come up with. For instance, I would need my watchmakers' permission to post his information on here. Then, does he become an OmegaForums recommended watchmaker? My guy was an Omega watchmaker in Bienne, but I have no idea if he wants that kind of exposure.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2014

Yea that's the thing, the watchmakers we do have on here have been swamped badly in the past, Steve got completely snowed under at one point, Al is always knee deep in Speedmasters etc. We really could only deal with watchmakers that we did know, that were members here and then only after talking to them.

10. Mathlar Feb 14, 2014

I agree that individual watch makers might need to give their permission, particularly our "resident" ones. On the other hand, the one I want to recommend is a workshop with a few employees and he specifically asked if I was prepared to give a review, if I was happy with his service... I can always do that anyway in the Open Discussions forum, but it'd get lost after a few weeks.

I personally think it'd be useful for raising awareness of reputable watchmakers that we don't all know...

11. Mathlar Feb 14, 2014

I also think we'd have to limit the watchmaker's details to those in the public domain e.g. the watchmaker's website in my case... I know that our residents wouldn't generally want their addresses broadcast....

But for STS, for instance, all the details are publicly available anyway, and it'd just be a forum (pun intended) for people to show examples of the work and give a postive recommendation.

12. eustace Feb 25, 2014

I think this would be a great idea. Any word on how this can be done? I've spent a lot of time trying to find a local watchmaker and I unfortunately end up on yelp reading raving reviews about how quickly someone swapped out a battery...

Incidentally -- anyone have a good watchmaker in the New York to Boston corridor?

Thanks much!

13. CdnWatchDoc Feb 28, 2014

Very good idea! I agree with Dennis that details and limits would need to be put on posts. And I feel the watchmakers would have to agree to be "OF rated". Don't want to overwhelm our best friends!!:)

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2014

Too late! ;)

I've been waiting to see how this idea develops, but I'll jump in now. I can see good and bad from something like this...

While this is a great idea for collectors, most watchmakers I know are already so overloaded that it's hard to imagine they would really want a ton of extra exposure.

Still it's nice to have options, so if someone is emailing me now and I'm telling them it will be August before they can send in their watch (which is currently the case) then they might like to have an opportunity to email someone else to see if they can do the work sooner. It would be helpful for me to be able to give a name I know that my client would be happy with if they can't wait for me to get to their watch...

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Al

15. jakeh417 Mar 1, 2014

The only thing I can see is that unless the list is big, those watchmakers will also be overwhelmed quickly. When I was looking for a watchmaker, most of the recommend ones on the forum were booked far, far, far out.

But some feature I would love are:

-Contact info all in one area

-Instead of having to email the watchmaker often or wait for the watchmaker to remember to email you when they are free, maybe the site has a "open for repairs" or "full, not accepting repairs" indicator.

-How far out their wait list is.

-What their turn around time is.

-What parts accounts they have (rolex, omega, etc).