Forums Latest Members
  1. FLS Mar 23, 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can ID my Omega. It was purchased as a gift about 6 years ago in Sydney, Australia. It was recorded as being solid 9 carat gold from between 1952-1956 and looks to have an acrylic crystal. It is manual.

I have searched online but can never seem to find quite the same model. At some point I would like to try to have the crystal polished along with the case. The hands also have a patina to them -- can these be polished or do they need to be replaced?

Advice welcome. I love the watch and want to do the best by her!
    Felicity

IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5857.jpg
  2. DON Mar 23, 2019

Find a jewellers supply house and buy a jewellers rouge cloth and give the case a light buffing. This way it won't be over polished

Cheaper to just replace a plastic crystal

Really can't polish hands. They a thin gold plate over brass and depending on how bad they are worn. Polishing will make them worse. My old dial refinisher did replate them for me, but I doubt any watchmaker will have the system to do that or want to bother

Either leave hands as is or replace

No real ID Not all watches have names attached to them. Sometimes a watch is just a watch

DON

FLS likes this.
  3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Mar 23, 2019

It is an Omega manual wind watch, powered by a 283 and case was made by Dennison from England in 9 ct gold. The hands are alpha hands and correct for that watch.
    Crown is a later replacement.

PS.
    Yes, hands can be cleaned by using gold cleaning cloth.

FLS likes this.
  4. FLS Mar 24, 2019

Don, thank you for your kind reply and advice. I love the idea that 'a watch is just a watch', a good sentiment to carry with it. I will grab a cloth and give it a go myself and will look at replacing the plastic crystal at some point.

Thanks again!

5. FLS Mar 24, 2019

Thank you so much! This is great information to have. I had wondered about the crown, it seems ever so slightly a different colour to the rest of the watch. Many thanks!