Forums Latest Members
  1. Watch1357 Jan 5, 2019

My grandfather recently passed away and left me the watch in the pictures. It's a Seamster purchased in 1955 in Switzerland, but I'm having difficulty determining the specific variation.

I would appreciate any help you can offer in making a definitive ID. I intend to sell the watch, so need this information to list. If you have any thoughts on approximate value that would also be appreciated. Watch and strap are all original. Never restored. The watch runs and the case is in good condition, but probably needs service. I have the original booklet that came with the watch.

Thank you in advance for your help.

IMG_5789.jpg IMG_5791.jpg IMG_5793.jpg IMG_5792.jpg
    Spruce likes this.
  2. jimmyjay Jan 5, 2019

It’s hard to tell the reference from just the dial. Unfortunately the dial appears repainted. The best tells are the wonky Seamaster printing and the printed minute marks do not align with the applied markers. Thus the watch would not highly prized by collectors.

I would guess the value at 2-300 usd as-is.

Why don’t you get it serviced and enjoy wearing your grandfather’s watch?

YOSDav and McKinley like this.
  3. 104RS Jan 5, 2019

Don't you feel bad selling such a nice piece of family history for a relatively small amount of money?

As for the watch, I agree with jimmjay. I'm pretty sure it's a redial, which strongly affects the value of the watch.

YOSDav and McKinley like this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 5, 2019

Looks like a ref 2635.

5. Watch1357 Jan 5, 2019

Thanks all for your input. I'm certain it's not refinished in any way. I personally pulled it from my grandfather's dresser. My grandmother purchased it from the jeweler stamped on the card. He's the first and only owner.

6. Hnansen Jan 5, 2019

Back then, it was quite normal to have the dial refinished when the watch was serviced.

I agree that It looks to have been redialed at same point in its live. It's hard to tell for certain with only one photo of the dial.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 5, 2019

Compare the printing on this correct original 2635, particularly Seamaster.

IMG_1307.JPG

KingCrouchy likes this.