Forums Latest Members

I would like to take a simple poll....which model is the missing Speedy 105.003/012 or 145.012?

1. Pasbru Sep 22, 2014

I thought it would be fun to get all the collectors thoughts and opinions on the missing Buzz Aldren watch...what model do you think it is.....I know its a dead horse and the answer never to be had......but I am curious what everyone thinks.....You can post just the model you choose... and if you wanted to add something great would love to hear anyone thoughts. Cheers!

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 22, 2014

I always thought that the overwhelming evidence pointed to it being a 145.012.
    then again, that was only experts opinion and never proved.

3. repoman Sep 22, 2014

I think it somewhat likely this watch eventually emerges, probably in some collector's estate after his/her passing. How they got it, will probably remain a mystery forever.

Varasc likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 22, 2014

Patience. Beyond that, nothing more will be said at this time.

5. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 22, 2014

145.012-67

http://chronomaddox.com/omega/articles/e-mailbox_3.html
    ....."I have been comfortable with taking John Diethelm's word that Aldrin's watch was a 145.012."
    -- Chuck

http://chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html#John_R._Diethelm
    Dave S. posted, on 1 August, 2000 in the Omega Forum, an email from Omega PR (John R. Diethelm) regarding the ST 145.0120-67 model:
    Dear Sir,
    further to your above inquiry, we have compared your information and have therefore the following available details:
    * mvt N° xxxxxxxxxx * manual winding chronograph movement of Calibre 321 - 17 jewels * case reference: ST 145.012 - stainless steel * manufactured and delivered to our Agents in Danemark on October 25, 1968.
    It is confirmed that the OMEGA Speedmaster chronographs that went to the " Moon " were of identical reference as your above watch.
    best regards
    John R. Diethelm / Omega Public relations

Pasbru likes this.
  6. Davidt Sep 22, 2014

Isn't that last paragraph implying that only 145.012's went to to the moon, when it's known that several 105.012's we're also used?

Pasbru likes this.
  7. pitpro Likes the game. Sep 22, 2014

It would seem reading the letter literally.
    But when taken in conjunction with this:
    It would seem he was always referring to the 1st moon "walk"
    Also inferred is Omega only really only wanted to confirm
    "the first"

http://www.chronomaddox.com/moonmovement.html
    We have TZ Classic 381 in which John Diethelm of Omega Vintage Information is quoted as stating:
    "Dear Sir,
    In reply to your net inquiry dated febr. 19,1999 here are some details:
    1. it is obvious that the first moon landing was made with a Speedmaster fitted with a caliber 321 movement. The toward the seventies, the NASA has probably also used the replacement movement caliber 861. We have no official confirmation of what has been used and when, except for the first Moon landing.
    2. The re-qualification in 1978 is exclusively made with the caliber 861."
    Kind regards
    OMEGA LTD John Diethelm
    Note: This is not necessarily true, because we do have the photo's above and additional pertinent information below. But, I present it as is nonetheless.

Davidt and Pasbru like this.
  8. TLIGuy Sep 23, 2014

My money says Dr. Aldrin has it safely stored away in a safety deposit box.