I won vintage Rolex ebay auction $1400 w tax.

Posts
15
Likes
12
18k gold plated case with grey silver linen dial(?) I've seen similar arabic with arrow markers on vintage rolex precision but not with that art deco style arabic number. The crown doesn't have the logo (is that an aftermarket?) Some watch studio in Argentina seems suspect but i don't know. What do you guys think??
 
Posts
1,604
Likes
2,718
Hate to break it to you but that does not seem genuine at all. Dial is definitely repainted, and the case doesn't match any Rolex model that I'm aware of.
 
Posts
15
Likes
12
Hate to break it to you but that does not seem genuine at all. Dial is definitely repainted, and the case doesn't match any Rolex model that I'm aware of.

Ffffffffff.. ::facepalm1::
 
Posts
18,745
Likes
38,892
Get yourself and a good camera quickly to a watchmaker.
Ask them to remove the caseback.
Take a photo of every step with a time/day/date stamp on your photos or a time/day/date clock in the background.
Take good clear photographs of the movement and the inside of the caseback to ensure that it is not a Rolex.
Thank your watchmaker for their help and pay them.

Approach the seller for a return, provide photos if needed.
ONLY COMMUNICATE VIA EBAY.
If they jack up, raise a case with eBay.
 
Posts
15
Likes
12
Get yourself and a good camera quickly to a watchmaker.
Ask them to remove the caseback.
Take a photo of every step with a time/day/date stamp on your photos or a time/day/date clock in the background.
Take good clear photographs of the movement and the inside of the caseback to ensure that it is not a Rolex.
Thank your watchmaker for their help and pay them.

Approach the seller for a return, provide photos if needed.
ONLY COMMUNICATE VIA EBAY.
If they jack up, raise a case with eBay.

Lol thanks for your advice. I already messaged the seller telling him to save us both some time and cancel the order and warned him to risk getting his account suspended. eBay takes selling counterfeit or faulty items seriously and will issue refund via their money back guarantee policy asap.
 
Posts
18,745
Likes
38,892
A seller with 5 feedbacks is going to worry about that?

Best of luck though, and let us know how you go.
 
Posts
15
Likes
12
I don't think the ebay seller is intentionally conning people out there. He was duped by the previous seller who was from Argentina. I don't know how the feedback would affect this case but I got pretty decent number of positive feedbacks too. Hoping for the best and thanks.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
Never buy a watch without a movement photo. Bet the movement is Roamer or other brand.
 
Posts
18,745
Likes
38,892
Never buy a watch without a movement photo. Bet the movement is Roamer or other brand.

 
Posts
15
Likes
12
Never buy a watch without a movement photo. Bet the movement is Roamer or other brand.
Indeed. I did ask for pics of the movement but he didnt reply and it was already few bids too late. Lesson learned.
 
Posts
1,372
Likes
2,001
Too bad some mussed it up and put Rolex on the dial. I love the style of the numerals and texture.
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
Why did you buy this? From your post you seem to know that it’s not real. It’s not even attractive.
Edited:
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,379
This is pretty simple, isn't it? The seller advertised the watch as a vintage Rolex which it clearly is not. Fraud. Buyer should have been more diligent in his review before purchasing, but he'll get his money back. Lesson learned.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
Why did you buy this? From your post you seem to know that it’s not real. It’s not even attractive. Hope the price was commensurate.

The price is in the title of the thread 😗
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
The price is in the title of the thread 😗
Yep.. need more coffee.
 
Posts
403
Likes
2,383
The auction is still a nice social experiment of what the writing "Rolex" does to a 50$ watch. I am aware that there is nothing surprising about it, but it adds some nuance to the threads where Rolex prices are being defended with arguments of quality, heritage and value retention. But we suspect that it is something else that people actually buy, when buying a Rolex. 😀
 
Posts
519
Likes
972
I am wondering how this watch will be judged by eBay's Authenticity Guaranteed on the eBay.