Forums Latest Members

I was only so daring......would you have been more daring???

1. McKinley Nov 1, 2017

Hello all. I have read on here that sometimes you just need to be daring and take a chance. I had followed this auction for a week, but based on poor pics and my lack of knowledge, I stopped bidding at $501. Would you have gone higher, been more daring? Did I quit bidding at about the right time? Did another member with bigger coconuts than me win this? I would like to hear other opinions, did this winner make out, would you have gambled on it and to what point. Thank you for playing my game and giving me a better idea on how far to go on future gambles.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mens-Wrist-Watches-5-Armitron-Wittnauer-Helbros-Omega-Orvin/311977920581?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

McK

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 1, 2017

A well used example, case is soft, dial is stained, not a bargain in my mind.

McKinley likes this.
  3. cristos71 Nov 1, 2017

I'd say you had a lucky escape. Four junkers and a beat up Connie for $500 doesn't sound like a good deal to me

Davidt and McKinley like this.
  4. McKinley Nov 1, 2017

Thank you both for the replies. Seems like I dodged a bullet and I was even too high in my bid. I am glad there was a bigger fool than me. It doesn't sound like the winner made out.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2017

Close call

citizenrich and McKinley like this.
  6. Timmert Nov 1, 2017

I would blindly follow the advice of @X350 XJR or @Archer for watches like these.
    On a sidenote: tempting as it may seem, set yourself an absolute maximum for auctions and stick to it. I've seen it gone sideways with people overbidding in the heat of the moment. Setting your max prior the endgame of an auction will give you a somewhat rational number. ;)

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 1, 2017

Hmmmmm, how do I express this in a way meant not to offend? I'll try:

The sort of eBay watch trader who lists these grab bags of watches is the sort of seller who might make use of strategy of shill bidding.

Also: you've got an experienced seller who all of a sudden doesn't know to focus his camera? Come on man!!

McKinley likes this.
  8. w154 Nov 1, 2017

There's daring and there's overpaying. This could be a good lot if it was cheaper, but at that price it just doesn't make sense. For me I'd have gone maybe 350 as it is described as a runner, but not more than that. And as others have said the other four are pretty much junk so no chance to recover anything significant from those.

McKinley likes this.
  9. McKinley Nov 1, 2017

Just to clarify, yes, I was after only the Connie and where it was at least running, I counted that as a good sign. I did have a limit and didn't go over it, so that was done right, but I gather my limit might have been too high, but I will chalk that up to I am an optimist and a newbie. I knew the others were just junk and would have been happy getting even $50 bucks back for them on eBay and that thinking made my bid more like $450 to $475, probably still too high. So, just to also clarify, I wasn't asking if it was a good bid at the $641 it ended at, but if I cut it off at a good point. I thank you all for the replies and will try and temper my excitement and use your good advice on the next auction.

Mck

P.S. Also, in my figuring, I do have an advantage, as I have stated on here before of knowing an old watchmaker who cleans and times my watches for only $40. So, I wasn't looking at $150 or more in additional cost to the watch, just to have it cleaned.

10. dx009 Nov 1, 2017

Whoever got it could make a profit (if that's their intention) by selling these for parts... Or maybe try to refurbish all but not sure how well that would end up...

McKinley likes this.
  11. cvera Nov 1, 2017

$500 bucks would be too big of a gamble for me on eBay. I try not to make big purchases on eBay since I view it as a gamble. But I also realize sometimes gambles pay off. I'd say you did well to stop where you did.

McKinley likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 2, 2017

If this is the case, you may have missed an opportunity, but it would have been a big gamble.

At the final auction price, you would probably have been into the watch for $750, including your $40 cleaning and a new Omega crystal. My guess is that the dial was original and in pretty good shape. The case back was not worn down or scratched. Scalloped crowns are correct for some Constellations.

Go look at selling prices on eBay for these in good cosmetic condition. Around $1,000 and up from what I’ve seen.

Without movement pictures, who knows.

Not a purchase for a newbie, but I think the bones were there on this one.
    gatorcpa

citizenrich and McKinley like this.
  13. McKinley Nov 2, 2017

Thank you, gatorcpa. I appreciate your input, as I do everyone's. It probably wasn't the gamble for me, I did think the dial was original and that is why I went as high as I did, if I didn't, I wouldn't have bid at all. It was a gamble, I didn't win or lose, but my powder is still dry and waiting to be spent on another watch, one I can be more sure of. Some day I will be more knowledgeable and be able to make a better bet on such gambles.

Mck

14. cristos71 Nov 2, 2017

Looks like a missing hour marker at 8'0 clock to me...

s-l1600.jpg

McKinley likes this.
  15. McKinley Nov 2, 2017

Good eye! I have a lot to learn. You guys are impressive.

McK