Forums Latest Members

I was going to sell this, but no - I will work harder instead. 2998 content

1. Davidt Aug 2, 2017

You had a shoe box?!

2. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 2, 2017

That watch is old and all faded...cant even see the numbers around the edge. If you really loved Mrs Fruit, you would sell this old junk and get here a new AGA.

dibs.

Marku, Kmart, bazamu and 3 others like this.
  3. cell1010 Aug 2, 2017

@kov thats an impressive story that I never heard before. It's always cool to know what's going on behind the scenes.

@Spacefruit I'm sure you'll find a way to manage to get an AGA and keep the Speedy. Maybe sell a different one ;-)

kov and Spacefruit like this.
  4. OWa Aug 2, 2017

Dash1 likes this.
  5. Nathan1967 Aug 2, 2017

6. Mathlar Aug 2, 2017

Indeed... all of those things are true, but once you've tasted an AGA breakfast.....

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Nathan1967 Aug 2, 2017

Amen, the great AGA breakfast- you're right it's the best!

A picture of a Watch
    IMG_5243.JPG

A breakfast

IMG_5490.PNG

neilfrancis likes this.
  8. ICONO Aug 2, 2017

Hhmmmmm Breakfast ::facepalm2::………Either completely carbonised …or dramatically undercooked……

Until after 5 years of AGA ownership… you have worked out how the temperature gauge works

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. ICONO Aug 2, 2017

The simple economics of AGA running costs…are the equivalent of having a open brazier in the kitchen…into which you very regularly throw £10 notes.

( There is NO grill btw, & "no capacity for turning something down to a precise simmer…you can either watch your pasta boil dry in two minutes flat… or come back for it tomorrow" )

Try reading Mark Mason's hilarious article in The Spectator

Edited Aug 2, 2017
    Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  10. JamesL1680 Aug 2, 2017

all AGAs are ovens. all speedmasters are NOT 2998-1s (with a lollipop hand and faded DON bezel).

i think i have that right?

TJH, eugeneandresson and Spacefruit like this.
  11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 2, 2017

...faded (ghost) DON BASE 1000 bezel...much hotter than any oven could ever get IMHO...

marco and JamesL1680 like this.
  12. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Aug 5, 2017

A few little Aga gags for your pleasure:

"I know a bloke who buys old ones, does them up and ships them to the middle East!

We call him the Aga-Khan"::rimshot::

aga-annie-tempest-keep-calm.jpg

50e1d09fa91cb0fad2769815a9506187--saga-cartoons.jpg

myths-legends-jason-jason_argonauts-greek_myth-greek_mythology-notes-gca0264_low.jpg

Edited Aug 5, 2017
  13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2017

This seems to sum it up :confused: :confused: :confused:

"You are probably thinking…what is an Aga? Or perhaps you are thinking I don’t care what kind of stove you cook on, just give me a recipe. Well, to both of you I say, hold your horses and I’ll explain.
    An Aga stove (actually called an Aga cooker) is a very expensive (like $4,000-$10,000), very strange source of heat for cooking often found in the great cottages of the English countryside. The Aga cooker was developed by a blind Swedish physicist, Gustaf Dalen in the early twentieth century. Must have been very difficult to invent a stove without the gift of sight. There are many different ways to heat an Aga, but the basic principal is to constantly heat large iron plates that are configured into four small compartments or “ovens.” The top of the Aga has two round cast iron plates that resemble a typical stove. The kicker is that you never turn your Aga off. It constantly burns coal or gas or oil or whatever you’ve got it hooked up to. It’s recently received criticism for being hugely inefficient, but many Aga devotees claim it’s the heating source for the whole house.

You can’t just go to the store or order your Aga online. You have to customize it for your kitchen and an Aga technician will come and assemble it for you. If given the option, I would obviously go for pink, like this model from Avec Cookers.

How do you cook on an Aga?
    Well….very slowly. The idea is that the ovens range from the “warming” oven to the “heating oven” to the hottest “roasting oven.” Most Aga cookbooks will walk you through the rotation of moving dishes of food through the ovens to make a complete meal. It’s very very silly and time consuming. Only one of the hot plates on top gets hot enough to boil water so you are basically limited to one source of flame. And remember, you can never turn it off…so you’ll need lot’s of heat-proof counter space. The bottom line is that it’s beautiful. A real status symbol in England- it’s a bit of an anomaly to find one in North America. I can’t imagine baking in one of these things since there is actually no temperature. This is could be solved easily by purchasing these heat-proof temperature gauges (house-warming gift?). I think the best way to utilize the Aga is to slow-cook meats in the roasting oven – so I roasted 4 pounds of pork butt over three hours. I also successfully poached eggs and made pasta. I made the pork extra smoky by adding Lapsang Souchong Tea and it was really really really good."

Tik-Tok of Oz and gemini4 like this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 6, 2017

That's funny - first time it has been explained with such clarity.

A few years ago the Viking at my sister's house was having igniter issues. My sister, who generally does not do more then boil water or heat frozen dinners, made my brother-in-law's life a living hell for months because apparently an Aga was the only range in the world that doesn't suck. It was going to be $15k. My BIL is a sensible guy, so one day he drove 2 hours to Reading, PA and picked up a Buestar. My sister fumed for weeks, but finally conceded it was plenty good to get the job done. At that time a 6-burner was $5k, so he came out way ahead.

Watch content - the BILhas a Patek.

cicindela likes this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 7, 2017

Yeah

She still wants an aga.

You guys must all know by now, logic doesn't change wives minds.

::facepalm1::

toddle321, marco, gminnj and 5 others like this.
  16. MaiLollo Aug 7, 2017

The silly thing about owning more than 1 iteration of the same watch, is that you can't use "logic" in a purchase argument.
    We shot ourselves in the foot here...

17. jimmyd13 Aug 7, 2017

This is a truth rarely spoken aloud, and then only between males of the species whilst carefully observing no female comes within earshot. It is a truth that should never be committed to writing where it might later be found and used to incriminate the author.

marco and Spacefruit like this.
  18. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 7, 2017

Mind your own foot when telling all Speedmasters are "same watch" :p

marco, Spacefruit and MaiLollo like this.
  19. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 7, 2017

That's why we love them (women). We don't understand them, they don't understand us, but as long as there is enough bidirectional acceptance it matters not.

If these Aga's are so big, then there is a solution to throw in a bit of normality into the cooking process : simply build it big enough that in one of the side-compartements you can hide a normal (decent) gas stove...problem solved :)

Nathan1967 likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2017

I guess it depends on the wife...

rcs914 likes this.