Forums Latest Members
  1. learningcurve May 29, 2019

As a newcomer to vintage Omegas - I have an authenticated newish model , and retrospectively reading the forums fake watches thread, i am getting that sinking feeling about my recent love at first sight 1968 Geneve acqusition (from online auction in netherlands) . Any thoughts on this , please share either positvely or negatively, the lack of Swiss Made on the dial omega geneve blue dial.jpg omega geneve case back- inside  face.jpg omega geneve case back.jpg omega geneve case edge.jpg omega geneve winder.jpg omega geneve movement jpg.jpg omega geneve blue dial.jpg omega geneve case back- inside  face.jpg omega geneve case back.jpg omega geneve case edge.jpg omega geneve winder.jpg omega geneve movement jpg.jpg and seemingly cleaning of the outside back case have given me cause for concern !

Spruce and superfly like this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 29, 2019

superfly likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 29, 2019

Based on the information from Omega, the watch checks out except for the dial.

The dial ls probably an old redial, but Omega was known to have some funky dial styles in the latter part of the 1960’s. The database is not complete.

The “Swiss Made” could be hidden under the bezel. It’s impossible to tell from these photos. The fonts are correct for a Geneve from this period.

A watchmaker should be able to remove the dial and movement from the case, and then, you’ll have your answer.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

Mark020, jB1128, Benbradstock and 3 others like this.
  4. Edward53 May 29, 2019

Swiss Made could be hidden at the foot of the dial under the tension ring. It's hard to be sure from that photo but the minute markers look good and my initial reaction is that I like the dial.

superfly likes this.
  5. learningcurve May 29, 2019

thanks for the glass half full response- for the moment -unitl its serviced next week .

6. learningcurve May 29, 2019

thankyou and i will find out next week when its serviced.

7. learningcurve May 29, 2019

thanks for the investigative work-

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 29, 2019

It sure is pretty, redial or not... who really cares if you're happy with it.

I have a couple of watches I love which are redials, I bought them because they are nice watches I enjoy, not as investments.

Wear it in good health!

9. TexOmega May 29, 2019

:eek:
    Pitchfork, Pitchfork, now where’d I put my Pitchforks?
    And torches........? Ah! Found them!

On my way with a few of my buddies......

:D

rmarks and Benbradstock like this.
  10. DON May 29, 2019

If you can return it. You should

It's not the redial that worries me, but the bezel. It should fit tight against the middle case, but I see too many open areas which means the lip on the main case or inside bezel edge is worn and bezel doesn't snap down tight all around.

There is a minor gap area to the right of center which is used to remove the bezel, but all that open area to the left should be as tight as the area in the middle.

[​IMG]

Same on the crown side bottom half

[​IMG]

Good chance the bezel could pop off due this

I've repaired some watches like this and minor repair, but it should have been done before it was sold.

DON

Benbradstock likes this.
  11. Canuck May 29, 2019

Probably a replacement acrylic crystal. These are usually shrunk when fitted to the case or the bezel, then allowed to expand into the case or bezel. An acrylic crystal that is larger than it should be can stretch an 18-karat bezel. A bit of ingenuity might allow a stretched bezel to be shrunk a bit.

learningcurve and Benbradstock like this.
  12. Benbradstock May 29, 2019

Man you guys are good. Every time I think I’m getting ahead, trying to diagnose watches in these threads before reading your responses, you bring up some detail I either didn’t notice or didn’t know existed.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 30, 2019

sometimes, the best knowledge comes out in these threads about "less desirable" watches. You're doing well to pay attention. and if you like the "less desirable" watches, you should see if member mac_omega has some copies left, https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-chronometer-book-omega-forums-limited-edition.90782/

Benbradstock likes this.
  14. michael22 May 30, 2019

The outside caseback may have had an inscription ground off.

15. learningcurve May 30, 2019

thanks for the highlight, the sellar did state that the Marker at 9 o'clock was damaged and reattached to the dial's surface in the past- so i guess may explain the bezel's appearance. also it is 18ct gold , so is this softer and more prone to showing distress- sorry if this is an ignorant question.

16. Observer I know nothing! May 30, 2019

Hah! I hope it's not an ignorant question (it's not) because I'd like to hear the answer, too.

17. michael22 May 30, 2019

Yes it is, but that shouldn't matter. Whomever did the work should have done it without damaging the case.
    Price should reflect condition. It is a nice looking watch that has issues. I hope it was priced accordingly.

18. learningcurve May 30, 2019

thankyou for your insight, hope you are right and my watch repairer can adress it.

19. learningcurve May 30, 2019

if these 'issues' can be addressed cost effectively and without spoiling to me what is a beautiful watch, i will be happy- it was a heart then head purchse- hence my user name :)

michael22 likes this.
  20. Benbradstock May 30, 2019

Logging onto OF and trying to diagnose the watches in "HELP!!! Should I buy this????" threads is a solid education tool. It's nice that the regulars get some benefit from these posts (which at first glance look like pure charity or exploitation).

michael22 likes this.