Forums Latest Members

Not able to demagnetise a watch

1. albysoo Mar 3, 2019

Guys,
    I have a 2254 and found out that it was magnetized, by using a compass as well as an iPhone app. (Lepsi as well as a Tesla recorder)
    So bought one of those eBay blue demagnetiser and ran it. All looked good but 30 minutes later to recheck, and the watch is back magnetised. And no, not putting it anywhere near magnets during this time.

The watch is running about 20 sec / day slow.
    And always low on reserve, stops around 20 hrs after I put the watch down after wearing it for 2-3 days. (Wound it to full wound when I put it on the first day).

Any ideas what the problem is? It just needs a service?

Edited Mar 3, 2019
  2. connieseamaster Mar 3, 2019

Magnetized watches run fast, not slow, so there's something else going on. Take it to a watchmaker.

3. Sublime_1 Mar 3, 2019

Posted as I typing. Time for a service.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2019

While this is mostly true, it isn't always true.

Those blue demagnetizers may not be powerful enough to fully demagnetize a watch that is a heavier case and has things like the iron cover over the movement. Those protect the watch from getting magnetized, but also protect it from being demagnetized. But in this case I suspect the watch just needs a regular service, and demagnetizing it should be part of the service if the person you are taking it to is a professional.

When was the watch last serviced?

5. Theluglife Mar 3, 2019

I went through the same process. Even downloaded compass and lepsi apps on multiple devices to check. Got the blue demagnetiser and had a go. Ended up making little difference to the accuracy of the watch. I'm pretty sure my watch just needs to be serviced. Also has low power reserve and is still running about 2 minutes fast a day.

6. albysoo Mar 3, 2019

Hey AL, don’t know for sure, bought it second hand, guy said it was serviced 2 years ago. So sounds like I need to get it serviced.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2019

Generally speaking, unless the seller is someone you really trust, I would not take their word for it regarding service. So unless you have real proof in the form of an invoice from a known to be good service provider, I would always count on getting a watch serviced that you buy second hand. If it turns out you don't need service, then it's a bonus.

Cheers, Al