Forums Latest Members

I want to propose with a Speedy!

1. BCA Feb 11, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am a woman in love!

I have been thinking rather seriously about proposing to my partner. I figured, in lieu of a ring (he is not much of a jewellery-wearer) I could propose with a Moonwatch, as I know he likes the style+history.

He doesn't own any $$ watches, he's not a flashy guy, which seems to make a Speedy the best idea. But I have a couple of obstacles I am not sure how to overcome, and I wondered if any of you might have some advice?

1. I initially thought about getting him a 142.022 model from 1984 — my birth year. But I am concerned that the servicing of the older models is very expensive, and I wouldn't want him to have a nice watch he cannot wear because we cannot afford to maintain it. So would a new model be a better idea?

2. I kinda like the Tin Tin. Neither of us have any sentimental attachment to the character, but I like its story as an unassuming, unloved model, dumped by the Hergers, but that a few of you are passionate about. It also looks pretty fine. Does any one have any particular LE favourites?

3. Any other thoughts or advice? I'm keen to hear it!

Thanks so much everyone!

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 11, 2017

Dennis in drag?

Baz9614, mr_yossarian, Syrte and 4 others like this.
  3. spin_transistor Feb 11, 2017

A lady giving her guy may be one of the best gifts ever! Do it. I'd prefer the '84 over the tin tin.

Baz9614, BCA and oddboy like this.
  4. alam Feb 11, 2017

Ok, assuming the OP is not Dennis or others in drag...I think is better @BCA ask why the man hasn't proposed yet...then figure out the watch-to-wear options.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

That's a very nice gesture. I love the idea!

but here's a better idea. Buy the '84 and wear it yourself.

AveConscientia, cvrle1 and Jwit like this.
  6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 11, 2017

I'm confused. Do guy engagement rings exist? What stone/setting is the most popular?

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

Gents, it's 2017. A woman can propose if she wants to.

Edit, but since you asked @gemini4, they do. They come in leather and steel, and sometimes precious metals. They're usually sized to about 6.25 to 8 inches and the setting is black with applied markers, and baton hands encased in steel.

jB1128, alohatime, ahartfie and 8 others like this.
  8. BCA Feb 11, 2017

Haha @oddboy I am loving them. I have been trawling threads and reading a lot about the speedys and I am beginning to really love them. I have 0 knowledge about any other type of watch so it's pretty biased.

oddboy likes this.
  9. BCA Feb 11, 2017

And re: ladies proposing — we have a pretty equal relationship. I thought about 'waiting' but then I felt a bit like a damsel waiting helplessly for a man to make her legit. we don't employ traditional ideas in many other parts of our lives so why would we here? I can't speak for other women, but I find the idea romantic. I think he would as well.

Helena, ahartfie, dialstatic and 4 others like this.
  10. BCA Feb 11, 2017

Thanks Spin. I have just read about people having to pay hundreds of dollars to service older models. That's what makes a newer model (not necessarily the Tin Tin, it was just an idea) more appealing. But I feel the sentiment of an '84 is better suited to a gift like this — unless anyone has an argument against it?

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

@BCA, any decent mechanical watch will need to be serviced. Modern ones can go a little longer, some specs say 7-10 years. Anything vintage is probably around the 4-5 year mark. The TinTin would be one of those that requires the shorter interval because of the more traditional movement in it. So the only real difference it upkeep costs is that an '84 or something would be best serviced right after purchase whereas a TinTin could probably go a few years before needing it, but both would require periodic servicing over the years of enjoyment you'd get from wearing it.

Baz9614 likes this.
  12. BCA Feb 11, 2017

That's a good point. Thank you!

oddboy likes this.
  13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 11, 2017

Wow! How cool is it to propose with a Speedy? Super cool.

The movement in the 80s watch is almost the same as the tin-tin watch. Both will cost you the same to service. I agree with oddboy, it is very highly likely you will need to service it. I also think it might be easier find a tin-tin. And as far as price, I think the 80s Speedmaster will be a little less, but once you factor in the service, it will be more expensive.

How long until you want to propose? If you are thinking this month, then it might be tough to find an 80s speedy in time.

BCA likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2017

I would argue a tin tin would have the same service needs as an 145.022 from 84. It's the exact same watch. Ok maybe it got an extra jewel at some point in the 90's as the Lemanias did but other wise every part on it swaps out with every other part. A good Speedy from 84 that has been serviced in the past should have the same service needs.

That being said if your sure he would say yes.. getting an engraved reverso... as our British friends say would be the dogs bollocks!

As others have noted it's hard to date Speedmasters from the 80's and 90's and getting a verified 84 might take some time.if he was born before 78 it's a lot easier.

BCA likes this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

There's a nice '82 here in the Private Watch Sales section for a reasonable price. .... Just sayin'...

..maybe an extract would even date it to' 84.... ;)

16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 11, 2017

Yes.

upload_2017-2-11_19-31-3.png

CdnWatchDoc, Jwit, BCA and 1 other person like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 11, 2017

18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 11, 2017

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 11, 2017

I can assure you, you are not biased. Speedy moonwatch is THE watch. One of most iconic watches there with Rolex submariner.

I am also glad Omegaforums attracts more female member like @meganfox17 , @Syrte , @Helena and you. A fresh perspective and balancing a male dominant crowd.

Helena, Maganator and BCA like this.
  20. Uniqez Feb 11, 2017

@BCA if he is going to hesitate with an answer, dump him right away and keep speedy to yourself)))
    To be serious, I have never ever heard of some proposed with the watch. I think it is a cool idea, but I'm afraid that not "watches people " would ever get how cool it is.

gemini4 likes this.