Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 23, 2014

I was compiling a list of desired watches. This list changes frequently, and derails what little focus I can maintain.
    The current interest is a recurring one: Swiss automatic chronographs. On the list of five watches are four I have already owned.
    I want them back!
    Saving for watches is a slow process for me. The ones I owned and want again were all traded up to the eventual grail acquisition. Now that I have the Grail, I'm not inclined to trade up because I'm already at my personal watch pinnacle!
    So I begin at the beginning again, with little "watch cash." I obtained two Hamilton chronos (yes, one replaces a model I previously owned, and the other was attractive in price and look). I love a wobbly 7750.
    Next up? Can't decide which, as both should be found near the same price:
    Omega Speedmaster 125
    IWC Porsche Design Titan
    The Titan may be more now that I think of it.
    The next three to round out the "wish list?"
    The pre-moon Speedy known to collectors as 105.012-66 Centrale Boîtes.
    The Rolex Daytona 116520, which translates to the Rolex movement with a black dial.
    And the only one I have not yet owned: the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono (3-6-9 subdial configuration) with a F. Piguet 1185-based movement. This may be a long time in coming, by which time I may go the Vacheron Constantin Overseas chrono route...?
    Just wanted to share some thoughts, and see if anyone identifies/agrees/disagrees...
    I don't get here much since I was distracted by Rolex on my way to Patek, but this has been the friendliest, most helpful forum in the watch forum world! Missing it :(
    If I bored anyone, apologies but rest assured you weren't the first! ;)

2. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2014

Not boring at all, and this is always an evolving subject for a flipper. There's only one chronograph I'd like to have back.... with a twist. 4 or so years ago I sold a gold & black Breitling Long Plaing 815 that was near perfect..... except I'd want it thinner by 2 or 3 mm so it tucks under a shirt cuff and add a big date at 12 - then it would be the perfect chronograph for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edited Dec 23, 2014
    alam, jose75 and Mothra like this.
  3. ashleysteadman Dec 23, 2014

I only have 6 watches in my collection and haven't caught the flipping bug yet so I'm yet to part with anything and regret it, but there's plenty of time for me to join the club.

Audemars and Vacherons (and Daytonas) are a little out of my reach at the moment so I can't say I'm familiar with them. I say you should go for the one next that really excites you the most at the time. I think that the acquisition (or re-acquisition) is part of the fun!

That's a gorgeous Breitling, I'm guessing it uses a Lemania-based movement similar to the Speedmaster Pros?

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Dec 23, 2014

The only two I regret selling are a Constellation 2648 in rose gold cap and a Globemaster 352...both were sold to OF members though and are in good hands!

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 23, 2014

THIS is why a VC Overseas makes my maybe list as a replacement for the AP ROC...but it will be a while.
    Emphasis added. A few weeks ago, that would have been the IWC Titan. Today it was the Speedy 125. Barring a financial windfall, one of those two will be next. Unless you ask me again in a couple weeks...d'oh!
    I can say that for my former 105.012-66 Speedy Moon, possibly the one from my list that would interest folks here the most!
    I wonder if I'll sell the Speedy 125/IWC Titan to fund the Speedy Pro, then sell that to fund the Daytona, then...
    The correct answer should be "no," but I have a history...!

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 23, 2014

I may get my hands on a Daytona this year. It belonged to my brother and he never got to use it. tis seating there with the rest of his very nice collection.

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 23, 2014

The Daytona in steel on an Oyster bracelet is very high on my "favorites of all time" list! I had a white gold one for a short time...so heavy it constantly rotated away on my wrist no matter how loose/tight/perfectly sized it was :( A few weeks after I obtained my grail and realized I would still like to collect chronographs, the Daytona was the first that came to mind. It's just so expensive it will take a long time to get another...

8. SeanO Dec 24, 2014

when you say Swiss auto chrono what else have you got?

any cal 11/12?
    Zenith usual suspects?

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 24, 2014

Great, I just remembered another former member of the collection I want back. It was a Movado Datachron (preceded the Datron) with a brown dial and the Zenith 3019 movement. :)
    As a group, yes there are other examples to consider like the El Primero and the Breitling/Heuer/Hamilton collaboration. The Zeniths I owned I didn't like (they were more contemporary 90's examples), and I couldn't justify the cost of the 70's models when they showed up. As for the B/H/H cal. 11 and 12's, I respect their significance but was never a fan.
    I doubt I'll ever be able to collect and keep an example of all the Swiss auto chronos created. I just mentioned a few of the ones I owned and loved!

10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 27, 2014

In the spirit of "meaningless thread without pictures," I re-loaded these from the archives.
    If I save $3k or so, I can re-acquire any of these three. Coincidentally, I would choose them in the order of higher value to lower value.
    The IWC Titan. My first was in 1989. I didn't know what it looked like but I knew IWC was good and I liked chronos. I remember being disappointed by its contemporary looks, but it quickly grew on me. This is actually the third of three I owned. I sold it because the later version bracelet has a screw on the clasp that dug into my arm when it rested on my work desk. It actually broke skin! The earlier bracelet is my favorite, and the model is my third favorite of all behind the Daytona and the Nautilus 5980.
    [​IMG]
    I owned this Omega, and loved it. Mint condition! I was scared to wear it. I sold it to fund the Daytona.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure I'd chase down this Movado but it sure was a nice one. Shown on a strap, it came with its original bracelet. A brown dial that looked tropical. I still love the C-shape cases. Although I prefer the Zenith in name, I prefer the date-at-12 execution of the Movado.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, the Daytona. Classic. Some love it as I do, others find something to criticize and dismiss it (too small, ladies wear it, screw pushers a pain, no date, blah blah blah)...
    I want it back!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for indulging me. It's like therapy on the cheap!

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 27, 2014

Can't blame you for wanting any of those back!

12. Davidt Dec 28, 2014

I sold my Speedmaster 145.022-69 a few months ago. I wish I hadn't now as although it's not particularly rare and I have two other 321's, it was in great condition and sat beautifully on a black leather strap.

Ah well, you live and learn!