Forums Latest Members

I think this is a very good and from the old days redial

1. ELV web Feb 8, 2016

great job from the past... Am I wrong? The case is Super crispy!

image.jpeg image.png
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2016

Case is not that crispy. Someone's tried to salvage a savagely overpolished case by putting some edge on it, but it is a sad has-been of a watch - the lugs have lost a lot of mass. Here's how it would have started life:
    xDSC_0008.jpg
    Zenith 156 IMG_6723.JPG

Spike, jens0125, x3no and 5 others like this.
  3. ELV web Feb 8, 2016

Thanks LouS, there is no way I can tell myself. Really appreciate the wisdom and your willingness to share as usual :thumbsup:

4. alam Feb 8, 2016

wow! if the pictures are a good/accurate representation of that watch, the difference is amazingly different! compare those lugs and bezel! It will be interesting to weigh the OP watch (case) and Lou's and compare the results!

5. Egatdagi Feb 8, 2016

The difference is startling when you see them side by side.

watchknut likes this.
  6. tcsasser Feb 8, 2016

Those hands, hour markers and blue tachy scale - very elegant and thanks for sharing. What is the reference number for this beauty?

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2016

Ref 19518 I believe. The reason I hedge is that the one in ELV web's thread starter post is very atypically marked with a later Zenith case number in the ###A### format. I don't have any other cal 156s in the database so marked. Overall, a pretty odd piece.

8. ELV web Feb 10, 2016

Actually, with a closer look, the finishing job on the lugs of the one I posted looks pretty good. Any chance you think it is a genuine original look, also what is your opinion on the dial?

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2016

Very strongly disagree.

IMO, it is not original finish. I've not seen a case like it among the cal 156 Zeniths. I will even go so far as to accuse the lister of photo shenanigans. NOte the rather pronounced lateral facet on the lugs in the first two pictures. Can you find it in the later pics (never mind that the background and light has changed? I emphasize that the three numbers-letter-three numbers case number format is also extremely atypical. The dial is a redial - I have no doubt about this.

Ask the seller for more pics - bet you don't get em!

NOte the lateral facets on the lugs
    168_001.jpg 168_002.jpg

What happened to the facets?
    168_006.jpg 168_006.jpg

168_007.jpg
  10. ELV web Feb 10, 2016

Interesting, seems to be different source. I found mine on Matthew Bain and here are the pictures of the side and back. The frontal pics I believe are of the same watch, but the remaining obviously are of different watches....

Edit: but it does show that the lugs ain't that neat ;) and I also think it is a redial, I always somehow have issues in making a call when the outer part of dial has this blue ink.

image.png image.png image.png
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 10, 2016

Ah, OK. The pics I posted are from an Italian sales listing that I mistook for the original but is obviously a scam. Suggest you include a link in the future to save us from Google Image errors.

Due respect to Matt, who generally vets his pieces pretty well, but my original option stands. That is a redial, lapped to within an inch of its life. Note the case hallmark usually present at 9 o'clock is obliterated. That he is selling it for less than what one of these in good shape would bring on EBay, and that he studiously avoids the word "original" in reference to the dial should tell you he has some awareness of its shortcomings.

ELV web likes this.
  12. ELV web Feb 10, 2016