Forums Latest Members

I Think My Mainspring Just Broke

1. usfpaul82 May 7, 2024

Well I’m terribly bummed right now. I picked up my 1983-ish 145.122 Speemaster from my watch box and gave it a wind to start her up and I heard a little click/snap. My heart sank and sure enough it looks like the mainspring is broken. I have zero power on the watch and the crown is just spinning with no stopping point.

I’m not sure what to do. I don’t want to send it to Omega because I don't want to risk dial/hands replacement. I’ve never had to find a reputable independent service location. Does anyone have any recommendation? I’m in central Florida. I don’t mind shipping to anywhere in the US but I really have no idea who to trust and don’t want to just rely on google “Omega watch repair”.

2. Poppyboy May 7, 2024

There are many great, independent watchmakers who are more than capable of handling the service. I recommend doing a Google search for watchmakers in your area and carefully looking at reviews. You may also want to inquire on neighborhood blogs to see if others have had good watchmaker experiences with their high-end watches. An example: https://maps.app.goo.gl/f6siQ11X5YxC7wGn9?g_st=ic

3. Aroxx Sets his watch May 7, 2024

That is a bummer. Sorry to hear it. Try Google searching this site as there are lots of recommendations threads already started. Search something like “site: omegaforums.net watchmaker recommendation” and you’ll get relevant results.

Two I’ll throw out there for shipping options are Kelly Hunter at Art of the Watch and Chronotek in Pennsylvania.

4. Dan S May 7, 2024

You can ask independent watchmakers if they have an Omega parts account.

Larry S and sheepdoll like this.
  5. Pastorbottle May 7, 2024

A few years ago when my flightmaster needed some serious attention, I looked up various watchmakers around town, of those I made a list and emailed the details of my watch and what I knew to be wrong with it, to each one.
    Of those only two bothered to reply.
    I based my selection on the quality of those replies.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Danimals May 16, 2024

Edited May 16, 2024