Forums Latest Members
  1. FiveSpeed Jun 16, 2015

I recently started wearing a watch for the first time in years. My nicest watch used to be a Weekender. After searching the forums, I decided on a Speedmaster Pro 3572.50 with hesalite front and see-through back to show the movement.

The plastic dome is a thing of beauty.
    [​IMG]

My original plan was to get one watch for daily wear, but I think I might be better off with just one more to rotate in.

I'm thinking a well-cared-for used Seamaster would really round out my collection. I'd like something blue, grey, or white. More toned down and maybe dressy. 38 to 42 mm. My price range depends on the watch, but I'd prefer to stay in the 3-5K range.

I've been looking at things like the Planet Ocean
    [​IMG]
    Is this available in 42mm?

I also like the Aqua Terra, which is certainly a dresser option.[​IMG]
    Both have the Co-Axial movement, which I'm not sure is a pro or con? Is it more difficult/expensive to service?

I prefer the smooth dial on this AT, but I don't like the white date as much.
    [​IMG]

I even thought about getting a Rolex Submariner, but I haven't seen a non-black color that sings to me. And I don't really want the attention that a Rollie will bring.
    [​IMG]
    To summarize my questions?

1. Will this be the last watch I need?
    2. Which Seamaster model would recommend to me?
    3. Is the Co-Axial Movement a pro or con?
    4. Should I wait and see if I warm up to a Rolex? What are the reactions like when people see you're wearing one?

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 16, 2015
  2. Superdoc Jun 16, 2015

Yeah....
    Only one more...
    Exactly what I keep saying....

But in answering your questions...
    #1. No
    #2. AquaTerra... Perfect dressier option to the Speedmaster, the AT can be put on leather for a dressier look, or bracelet for a sportier option
    #3.... image.jpg
    'Nuff said

#4. Rolex is a Rolex, Rolex actually does have impeccable movements, timeless style, and Global recognition... As a status symbol.
    For me, the reaction I get is that I'm a Rolex guy... I know and love many Rolex-guys, but those aren't the guys they're thinking of ... The Rolex Stigma is something that's become a negative for me, especially in my line of work...
    I find the Rolex increasingly hard to wear.

Also, You do realize that the watches you've posted above range in price from $2k to $30k...
    Are you that flexible on options?
    If so... Platinum Globemaster
    If not... the Skyfall AT

Edited Jun 17, 2015
    Giff2577, ctime3 and repoman like this.
  3. wsfarrell Jun 16, 2015

Submariners are nice, and I think the amount of attention they get depends on (1) where you are, and (2) how much you flash it around. Start waving it in front of a group of Manhattan investment bankers and you'll be hooted out of the room. Wear it on any beach in the world and it won't get a second glance.

4. FiveSpeed Jun 16, 2015

I'd like to stay under $5K.

Thanks for the insight on the Rolex. I never run across them in my day to day.

5. FiveSpeed Jun 16, 2015

What about in my break room with people who never see them in the wild? It sort of flashes itself when you get close.

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 16, 2015

And so the sickness begins :)

7. FiveSpeed Jun 16, 2015

I like the look of the Seamaster in your picture. What year/model is that?

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 16, 2015

If you like blue Seamasters, you might like this:

IMG_2385.JPG IMG_2386.JPG
    You can occasionally find them in the Sales Forum for around 2k in excellent condition...

9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 16, 2015

It's a late-model 42mm Planet Ocean with an 8500 movement; I got the rubber strap version. This is my field and SCUBA diving watch which I'm willing to let get dinged up a little.

I also have a late-model Aqua Terra (with all the anti-magnetic stuff) that I wear in the office and for dressy occasions; it has a soft gold bezel that will scratch if you look at it the wrong way so I only wear it in the gentlest environments.

Good luck on your quest @FiveSpeed !

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2015

That photo grates on me...mislabeled....the 1120 is not a co-axial watch, so they are not all co-axial balance wheels...

Mistake is repeated throughout the article that photo comes from...

11. Alex_TA Jun 17, 2015

It seems to me that the blue Sub has white gold case and a hefty sticker.

Edited Jun 17, 2015
  12. jcmartinez98 Jun 17, 2015

i came to the forum with the same question last year.
    i, too, was looking for a 'one and done.' just settled on the same watch you posted: planet ocean in titanium. but i opted for the 45mm version and on a rubber strap instead of bracelet. i'm not 'hooked' on watches, just wanted something else to balance out my speedmaster (DSOM). i DO think it's possible to get just one more, and i think the planet ocean is a great choice.
    with titanium bracelet as you've posted, it will run you solidly north of 5k if you're looking for brand new. perhaps 'like new' used you can get for closer to 5k in that configuration.
    so, to answer your questions.
    1. it could be
    2. depends on what you want it for. PO for more rugged/sporty look. AT for dressier but still can be casual look. both great.
    3. pro
    4. no- every douchebag who 'wants to get a nice watch' gets a rolex. often a sub. they're awesome and iconic, watches, but in my opinion, too ubiquitous.

13. SeanO Jun 18, 2015

39mm Railmaster might be an alternative

Nobel Prize likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 18, 2015

Yes

RMCU.jpg

15. Audley Yung Jun 18, 2015

I feel like the Seamaster 2254.50 is very dressy and slightly bigger at 42mm than the Bond version, might be a good choice for you.

[​IMG]

16. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 24, 2015

Answere to question #1.......Yes, it's the last watch you NEED. But certainly NOT the last watch you'll buy if you hang around this group. :D

17. Speedy1 Jun 24, 2015

First off, you're only going to 'warm up' to the blue dialed Rolex Sub, if you can warm up to paying $32k grand, or at least $23k for a used one, as they only come in white gold with that dial color.

I think the Aqua Terra or Planet Ocean would be great options, but know that the blue dial PO only comes in titanium. I'm pointing this out because some people may not like Ti. I have a 42mm Planet Ocean in the black dial and love it, so i'm a bit biased, but I wear it with nearly anything but a tuxedo. Generally speaking, blue dials are seen as being generally more 'sporty' and more casual than black, but I think either watch would be something you could wear nearly any day. Lastly, the 8500 movement is great, I highly recommend it

18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 24, 2015

@jcmartinez98..."every douchebag who 'wants to get a nice watch' gets a rolex. often a sub. " I've noticed more than the occasional poster here crap on Rolex and/or people who wear them. Your comment is a bit over the top IMO. As I wear a Sub, as well as an Omega, I find it off-putting. I don't think I have ever read any negative comments on Omega watches and/or people who wear them in the Rolex forum.

Not looking for an argument, just wanted to get that off my chest.

19. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 24, 2015

20. guelerct Jun 24, 2015

I didn't want to be a Rolex guy
    But I did want a Rolex
    I got the Milgauss which is as unRolex as it gets
    For the dressy option go AT Blue
    If Rolex Sub No Date, DJII with smooth bezel, new Oyster Perpetual (out in 3 weeks) or Milgauss
    As for the blue sub, the blue one is $24k