Forums Latest Members

I Think I Found Something To Save For..

1. Ham Feb 4, 2013

I will soon be finishing up graduate school and transitioning from poverty level grad student into the real world to an actual salaried position. I figured it would be nice to start looking for a watch to start putting money away for... a first “grail” watch of sorts.

I think this is at the top of my list so far (borrowed picture):
    I would be willing to bet that someone on Omegaforums owns one. Care to share some pictures?
    [​IMG]

While looking around I came across the modern Longines Legend Diver:
    Could this fill the void while I save?
    [​IMG]
    Reviews of these seem to be all over the place. Some people love them, some people bemoan the build quality. I think this would make a wonderful graduation gift to myself. What is the overall opinion this reissue. How is the build quality? How is the finish? It does have an ETA 2428-2 based movement which I think some people might frown upon, but as a watch to wear to work on a daily basis I don't think you can beat the reliability. Any other feedback on this watch would be greatly appreciated.

-Ham

2. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 4, 2013

I don't own one but it is a great watch.:thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Feb 4, 2013

The vintage ones command quite a price. The first verison came with the 19A in the late 50's, then the subsequent models had the 290 series.

I like the modern reissue a lot and it would make a great daily wearer. Don't let anyone talk you out of any watch with an ETA 2824 or 2892. They're fine movements with awesome reliability, parts are readily available, and plenty of watchmakers can do repairs on them.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 5, 2013

I owned the modern reissue for a few months a few years back and I can assure you that there is no issue with build quality. It is a nice watch, reasonably priced and wears well on the wrist.

5. Ham Feb 5, 2013

Thanks for the input.:thumbsup: It is great to know that the modern reissue is a solid watch. Time to start shopping for a reissue...and saving for an original.