Forums Latest Members
  1. Mathlar Jan 16, 2014

Why, google of course!

Squirrel_dance.gif

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2014

Agreed - I have had paintings and printed articles restored by professional conservationists working at museums, and they do not make their work obvious at all. For example when filling in a portion of a missing painting, they use period paints, etc. in order to make the repair as seamless as possible.

Cheers, Al

3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 16, 2014

He meant this is AWESOME lol

ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wblog.jpg
    Tritium and epl108 like this.
  4. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

Good point.

5. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

Exactly Al - they even match the brushstrokes.

Thanks for the chuckle. :p

6. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

John R Smith:

How would you or any other collector here detect originality in a 321 Speedmaster ?
    How would Omega detect the originality ? ...............Especially if those parts were interchanged (with vintage parts from other used Speedmasters) ?

Think a bit on what i said earlier: "Many here are in the pursuit of vintage parts for their vintage watches, but adding a used part from a different watch, to your used watch, IS IT STILL ORIGINAL ? OR IS IT JUST EASY FOR YOU TO ACCEPT IS "TRULY COLLECTIBLE" ?
    We seem to confuse ORIGINAL with OLD."

Who, would ever admit, changing such a part ? Ironic or not... I'm sure everyone lives very well with that !

I have chosen to put a service dial instead since the original was long time replaced, and said that very clearly. What's wrong about it ? Should all 321 Speedmasters containing new parts considered fakes now ? This is getting nowhere.
    OmegaMania uses Isnardi, vintage Rolex sellers uses Patrizzi, etc.
    Now i see my self tutored on show should i sell. Who knows what's next.
    Everyone picks side like there is a side to pick... What's constructive here ?

/F

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2014

Here is Sir Arthur of Dole*.
    SquirrelBodyArmour.jpg

One of the original Gray Squirrels brought to Britain in 1781 by Lord Charles Cornwallis after his defeat at Yorktown.

*No parts have been replaced in his armour, stand-in squirrel used for demonstration purposes only.

8. Mathlar Jan 16, 2014

When you start replacing bits of squirrels with more modern bits it starts to get all messy though, and none of us want this:

18881-1440x900.jpg

Barking mad and SpikiSpikester like this.
  9. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

The fact you used the word "original" makes it wrong. The parts are not even a correct dial or bezel - they're service replacement parts. The word "original" has no business in your listing describing that dial, bezel, or watch. You use it quite a few times:

"TODAY YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO BUY YOURSELF AN ORIGINAL "ED WHITE" PRE MOON WATCH 105.003-64 STRAIGHT LUGS NO CROWN GUARDS CAL. 321 WITH A 22 MILL. SERIAL, FULLY ORIGINAL."

"black luminous "Swiss Made" original dial"

.... and the most egregious lie:

"The 100% Original Omega black luminous indexed dial features the "Omega" name and Greek-letter logo...."

We're discussing your listing - not anyone else's. I'll point out again that not one single member has agreed with you. In fact, they're not even saying it's a grey area. You're using the word 'original' to try to fool an inexperienced collector into paying top dollar. WE HATE THAT HERE!!!

Hijak likes this.
  10. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

The dial is a mint Omega factory service dial.

11. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

::facepalm2::

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2014

Hey, I said the stand-in squirrel was for demo 19255449-playing-and-jumping-dolphin-in-ocean-waves.jpg only, it's not like I'm trying to sell him to you. Besides the original Cornwallis squirrels are all dead. The stand-in is a service squirrel that came from Green Park, what more do you want.

13. icspots Jan 16, 2014

::popcorn::

14. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

You seem to get very upset whatever the reason, not interested though.
    For your piece of mind: A DIAL CANNOT BE OTHER THEN ORIGINAL.

IT'S EITHER ORIGINAL OR IT'S FAKE. IT CAN'T BE LESS ORIGINAL.

Again personal and rude... i'd not hurry in saying i'm trying "fool an inexperienced colector"... I'm not fooling anyone !

Whatever one says it's simply not enough for you. But you seem to have everything covered, and if it's not like you, it shouldn't be at all.

I don't know what's wrong with you but if i'm troubling your waters so bad, i'd say we should reduce our communication to telepathy... i personally don't see any gain continuing in this direction.

15. Noisy Nova Jan 16, 2014

Mr. fantastic, the problem here, in my opinion, is that you do not know the meaning of the word ORIGINAL.
    I suggest that you educate yourself, so as to not make yourself look the fool.

16. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 16, 2014

::deadhorse::

I'm moving on....

17. Hijak Jan 16, 2014

Too late!:rolleyes:

ulackfocus likes this.
  18. Habitant Jan 16, 2014

Phew. What a conversation.

To throw a question into play that relates: a while back, one of the Forum members was selling a watch which had been owned by someone well-known - famous to some, but obscure to most. The mainspring was broken. The suggestion made by the honourable member was that the mainspring be left as it was, broken, and not replaced. The watch therefore was unusable (as distinct from the primarily – not exclusively –cosmetic issues as under the 'scope here), yet 'authentic.'

But in the interest of 'authenticity' do the honourable members herein believe that a broken mainspring (as per example) shouldn't be replaced? Bear in mind that the chances of finding an 'authentic' 'period' mainspring for a 60 year-old watch would be slim. And bear in mind, too, that the mainspring hadn't been broken - for example - in the course of diverting an assassin's bullet or similar, just metal fatigue.

For my side, I would change the mainspring. A watch should work, a watch that doesn't is no longer a watch, it's a paperweight in the shape of a watch. Of interest, but no longer interesting.

This is a different, but somewhat related issue. What reasonable limits can one assign? Is it better to have a dysfunctional article or a functioning vintage watch, in your opinions?

watchyouwant likes this.
  19. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 16, 2014

it might come down to a difference of opinion, but to me a mainspring is a service item like a crystal. So as long as only the mainspring was replaced (not the barrel or arbor - just the mainspring) I think that is o.k.

20. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

The mainsprings now even have different color... One other thing, even if a watchmaker would be able to source a blue original mainspring, would still consider it unsafe because of the age and would go for the modern gray. This part should be replaced on each service.

The same happens at least with 2 parts on automatic movements (mainspring and rotor bearing) on each complete overhaul but what can i say, some insist on originality.
    I am amused as i know neither Omega can't tell if a Speedmaster really has "every part the same as was fitted at the factory when first built". Especially if one used donor parts from other vintage watches...
    And bidding on the vintage parts alone are increasing like global warming.
    Nobody answered my questions but we are about to discover a new type of collector: the parts collectors, as these parts may never be used because of "originality remorse" ?????? ::facepalm2::

I am honest and in piece with myself, but i don't know if many others are... now that they found out in each of their 321 Speedmasters can be found new / replacement parts.

/F