Forums Latest Members

I see these selling on ebay for...

1. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 28, 2018

Anytime I meet someone about a watch and they start off saying that I want to walk away. You know they have a number stuck in their head and haggling with them will be pretty much impossible.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 28, 2018

So you're sour because you can't haggle the buyer below market price?

3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Mar 28, 2018

This forum frequently tells people looking for values to go to eBay as that’s the market value. Seems fair enough to me. Obviously it’s not black and white as there are factors like condition to consider, but it’s a start

4. BobXX Mar 28, 2018

Well it's better than: "I saw Hodinkee selling one of these for..."

Syrte, MaiLollo, airansun and 11 others like this.
  5. alam Mar 28, 2018

well, it depends if selling or buying :)

MaiLollo, Kmart, Florin and 4 others like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 28, 2018

Condition, condition, condition.

Euxinus, MaiLollo, airansun and 4 others like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 28, 2018

Negotiating is another matter. If a seller has a well researched position they are quite justified in walking away.

MaiLollo likes this.
  8. gdupree Mar 28, 2018

Saying "I see these selling on ebay for..." is a well-informed seller. Saying "I see these listed on ebay for..." is a different matter...

9. Edward53 Mar 28, 2018

Maybe it's because he's found that buyers who say that base their estimate on the lowest-priced worn-out redial, whilst sellers who say it base theirs on listings at three times the market price.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  10. KstateSkier Mar 28, 2018

and... Seller, seller, seller

11. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 28, 2018

Exactly! Ebay listing--near mint example with original box and papers with a recent servicing. Their watch--so beat up it looks like it was used to hammer nails and hasn't been on a watchmaker's bench in 40 years.

Yep. Just because they saw a similar watch with a $3k BIN doesn't mean that watch, or theirs, is worth $3k.

12. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 28, 2018

No, I'm sour because I can't haggle them down to market value.

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 28, 2018

Ok so negotiate on condition ... if you remain far apart ...walk away.

14. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 28, 2018

Last night I went to see an interesting 50s Landeron 52 chrono in a chromed case. Nice looking watch with a good movement, a pretty dial but certainly nothing spectacular. Seller is asking $2000 CAD. I ask what he's basing that price on and he shows me a some UG Uni-Compax watches on ebay and says those are selling for much more than he's asking :rolleyes:

15. asrnj77 Mar 30, 2018

People use eBay and Chrono24 to gauge prices both as buyer and seller. Watches will sell for what people are willing to pay. If your watch isn’t selling then you may have to adjust the price. The prices on eBay and Chrono24 are usually inflated for a built in negotiating cushion. eBay sales with no “best offer” and only a buy-it-now price rarely sell.

I saw one seller on an auction site that also lists his watches abnormally high on Chrono24. So when somebody googles the watch to see if it’s a good deal they come across his inflated Chrono24 price and figure the prices on the auction site are comparably good even though they’re inflated too. They probably don’t pick up that it’s the same seller.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.