Forums Latest Members

I need your expertise on a 105.003 ( Lots of new pics )...

1. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

Dear members and experts, I have been proposed the following Ed White and I would like to know your opinion.
    For now, I haven't seen it in the flesh and only have these 5 pictures to judge. I think the process will be long.
    The seller asks 10 k euros and I hope to get it for less. The anti-magnetic cap is missing.

image.jpeg

I asked for serial number of the mvt and a picture of crown and pushers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

Thank you very much for you time and help.
    Mounir

3. harrymai86 Sep 21, 2016

Cant really see the movement serie number in that out of focus pix right? I thought -65 did not come with 7912 bracelet?

4. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

I am still waiting for more info, as I said I havan't seen it in the flesh. It was in a smartphone and much more expensive than the one you found.

harrymai86 likes this.
  5. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 21, 2016

From 1965 a movement usually starts with 24.xxx.xxx
    The 7912 bracelet has the #6 endlinks and is better than any later, even if more correct bracelet.

omegastar and MikiJ like this.
  6. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

Thank you for your response.
    From these poor pictures do you spot parts that are not original ?
    What about the condition ?
    Mounir

7. mozambique Sep 21, 2016

Not sure how an anti-mag cap actually goes missing.........doesn't sound reassuring.
    105.003-65's were produced from 1966 to 1969 re. movement serial #.
    Looks like it would clean up nicely and a new crystal would work wonders.
    7912 bracelet and #6 end pieces are a real bonus and appropriate for the watch. Bear in mind that a set of these just went for $US5k on ebay, although $3-4k would be more typical. So E10k doesn't sound like too much. I would ask what the year stamp is on the bracelet clasp. Dial looks pretty nice!

omegastar likes this.
  8. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

Thanks,
    I am impatient to have it in my hand and check the serial number and that date in the bracelet.
    Actually, I already bought a 69 straight writing with a missing cap. I asked myself the same question.
    Speedies used to be tool watches in the old days, not treasures, so I guess people didn't care.
    Mounir

9. mozambique Sep 21, 2016

Best of luck!

omegastar likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2016

They should - without that the movement will possibly rattle around in the case...edges of dials can be damaged, etc.

For some the enlargement ring is tight enough it holds everything in place and would not be a problem, but others are sloppy enough to cause problems if the inner cover is gone.

omegastar, Pasbru and oddboy like this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 21, 2016

looks like it would clean up nicely. as mentioned, a 7912/6 could add quite a few $$ to the price tag.

the pushers look a little large. possibly later ones, but not a deal breaker.

omegastar likes this.
  12. omegastar Sep 21, 2016

Thanks guys for your comments, I'll try to negotiate as soon as I get hold of it, as there is no red flag.
    I'll keep you informed.
    Mounir

Pasbru likes this.
  13. harrymai86 Sep 21, 2016

Just noticed the crack on minute hand' s lume is pretty identical to mine. Your dial is lovely as well, just need a quick polish on crystal and it will shine.

omegastar likes this.
  14. omegastar Sep 22, 2016

Yes, I noticed too when I searched for info and found your post. The funny thing is that it happened at a flea market in Belgium. What I like in those pics is that hands and dial's lume is identical.

15. harrymai86 Sep 22, 2016

Hope you got a nice deal too :) the 7912/6 is a huge bonus

16. omegastar Oct 23, 2016

Hi again, as I said it would be a long process. I got new pictures from the seller.
    Are the pushers wrong ?
    The bracelet is dated 1/65, so is original as is the crown. Serial number looks correct 24.9xx.xxx.
    So, as the Clash used to sing " should I stay or should I go " ?

IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2018.JPG

TJH likes this.
  17. Davidt Oct 23, 2016

Looks largely correct. The dial looks to have a few moisture spots.

Personally I think €10k is a bit rich, but the ridiculous prices paid for bracelets at the minute probably makes it just about reasonable. There are plenty of people looking for these so if it was a good deal, it would have sold already.

Do you want it? People can only give you their opinion. At some point you've got to decide for yourself whether to go for it.

18. Varnado Oct 23, 2016

Ok, heres my opinion as I know you are probably refreshing this thread to get as many comments as possible..

The serial is early enough in the range to make that bracelet correct and that bracelet is a key piece of the puzzle.
    Caseback engravings are also of the earlier variety so, this is one of the earlier 65's based on those factors.
    Pushers appear to have been replaced and look to be the larger variety. Not a big deal unless the case was reamed to fit them,
    then there is no going back without some work. Again, not the biggest deal and only purists would care.

The DON is is OK condition and clearly original to watch. I like it like that but, it should be factored into the price.
    Case looks good and original. Caseback a bit over polished but still visible, factor that into price.

The dial to me is the only concern but, its the biggest part of the value. It looks like it could be a relume but, Im not sure.
    The lume is wavy and chunky and not smooth in texture. The crystal could be making it look this way. I would UV light it
    to see if it glows and if the glow matches the hands.

Overall for 10k euro or 10,900 USD I think it is properly priced. Its no bargain and its not a crazy asking price. I think you could probably search and find as nice or nicer one for a bit less but, as others have said, the bracelet adds at least 1-2k to the value so, In my opinion it would be a buy IF you like the dial. You could always sell off the bracelet for 3-4k and end up with the head only at a very good price..

red crowned, oddboy and Spacefruit like this.
  19. omegastar Oct 23, 2016

Actually, it is not on the market. It is a private opportunity, but the price is a bit steep. That's why I am asking for opinions on the price and authenticity.
    Thanks

20. Varnado Oct 23, 2016

Its nearly 100% authentic IMO, and the price is in line with other comparable watches. If you dont want it pass it on to me :)