I need help with this vintage Omega Seamaster Chronograph

Hello! I am still somewhat new to posting here, but as this is THE best place to get info on Omega watches, I had to try. I need help with identification and restoration recommendations. I just picked up this Seamaster chronograph, I believe it is from 1968 and a caliber 861. It looks all original to me- any concerns from the experts? Also, what is the general consensus on restoration? Should I just get it cleaned up as is, or do a complete restore? And from what I understand, restoration means doing everything possible to make it look like it was factory new... even down to specific brushed or polished finishes (any recommendations on who would be a good person to send this to in the USA?). AND it is missing one end link, does anyone have an extra floating around for sale? Any input would be appreciated. THANK YOU! IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg IMG_2100.jpg

If it were mine I would go clean, oil and adjust the movement, a good polish of the crystal and it would be good to go. Then just wear it on leather until you are able to find the end link.
As for watchmakers in the US I am sure someone will be make a recommendation. I have heard of LA watch works, but it is just a name I have heard mentioned on here.
Lastly, great pick up, it is a very nice watch!

(any recommendations on who would be a good person to send this to in the USA?).

The USA is a big place, and there are lots of watch makers all over the country. Some of them even good!
If you can be a little more specific as to your location, its likely someone can recommend one near you.

The USA is a big place, and there are lots of watch makers all over the country. Some of them even good!
If you can be a little more specific as to your location, its likely someone can recommend one near you.

Thanks for the reply- I am in Oklahoma... and no offense to any watchmakers that may be listening in OK, but I have not had good luck with quality repair locally.

Great pickup. These are hard to find in good condition, and I’d say yours is definitely in very good shape.

But is truly filthy, as you know. A good service will take care of it. Sorry I don’t have a recommendation.

Vintage bracelets are often available here on OF and there are posts that have charts showing the correct one(s) for your watch. A little patience and it will come your way. Or possibly someone with available end links will be in touch.

Best of luck with it.

Since you're moderately close to the west coast you should try Paul's Watch Repair in Sacramento. I've had several pieces worked on by them and I recommend them.

It's a lovely, unmessed-with, all-original watch and definitely requires only a sympathetic service. A "full restoration" will hurt its originality, affect its value and cost you a lot of money for the privilege. Think of the missing link as a blessing in disguise - the original owner probably lost it, never got another one and put it away which is why it's come to you in its present state.

Since you're moderately close to the west coast you should try Paul's Watch Repair in Sacramento. I've had several pieces worked on by them and I recommend them.
That is funny you should mention Pauls... I had a bad experience with them too lol. From what I hear, Paul was really good, but his son Raymond now runs the place and has really dropped the ball.

It's a lovely, unmessed-with, all-original watch and definitely requires only a sympathetic service. A "full restoration" will hurt its originality, affect its value and cost you a lot of money for the privilege. Think of the missing link as a blessing in disguise - the original owner probably lost it, never got another one and put it away which is why it's come to you in its present state.
Great comment and perspective- thanks for the reply.

That is funny you should mention Pauls... I had a bad experience with them too lol. From what I hear, Paul was really good, but his son Raymond now runs the place and has really dropped the ball.
I sent you a PM, if you haven't read it.

Well I've only had good experiences with them and I have talked with both Raimond and Paul 👍 all up to you though

Hello! I am still somewhat new to posting here, but as this is THE best place to get info on Omega watches, I had to try. I need help with identification and restoration recommendations. I just picked up this Seamaster chronograph, I believe it is from 1968 and a caliber 861. It looks all original to me- any concerns from the experts? Also, what is the general consensus on restoration? Should I just get it cleaned up as is, or do a complete restore? And from what I understand, restoration means doing everything possible to make it look like it was factory new... even down to specific brushed or polished finishes (any recommendations on who would be a good person to send this to in the USA?). AND it is missing one end link, does anyone have an extra floating around for sale? Any input would be appreciated. THANK YOU! IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg IMG_2098.jpg IMG_2099.jpg IMG_2100.jpg
Totally original and a very nice watch, good find!