Forums Latest Members

I need help on a Omega vintage watch, As a beginner

1. Msad May 16, 2019

591511A6-0463-4AC9-AF7F-01B8416462A1.jpeg 0ED66F63-E536-45D7-9B95-1B6F2B18904A.jpeg 373C3C00-5305-4A50-9AB9-C691741473B4.png AA80775D-A580-45B1-A6FD-5526408A05A4.png Hi everyone,

As I am new with Omega vintage watches, which caught my interest not so long ago. I would like to ask experts/enthusiasts regarding a watch I’m keen on buying from the internet.
    The seller has written that it’s an Omega Seamaster 69’ - cal. 613 (recently serviced). Dial has been repainted by an expert, and case has been polished. And also remarked that no original Omega buckle is included in the deal, and that the glass is an aftermarket (acrylic)

What are your thoughts on this watch?

Kind regards

2. Davidt May 16, 2019

It's horrid.

"Polished" generally means the nice clean and sharp lines that the case once had have been rounded off so it looks like it's melted. "Repainted by an expert" means the original dial that was printed in Switzerland has been repainted by Ken in Kent, and now looks nothing like it originally did. Furthermore, it's probably been repainted in black (as is the case here) as they're currently in vogue.

ext1, Noddyman and connieseamaster like this.
  3. Msad May 16, 2019

Thank you for the response!

What about the hands, dial lettering, crown and mechanism inside? Do they seem to be original parts for an Omega-model as mentioned by the seller?

4. Dan S May 16, 2019

connieseamaster likes this.
  5. Canuck May 16, 2019

Serviced recently? Grungy case, no gasket, filthy in the groove where the gasket should be. Original rose colour plating on many of the bridges in the movement is washed off. This watch has a lot of miles on it. Repaired many times. I would expect the inside case back would show many watchmaker repair numbers. I don’t see any. The inside of the case back almost appears to have had repair numbers sanded off. One cannot help but wonder whatever other short cuts the guy who “serviced” it might have taken. If you buy it, plan on paying for a thorough service, and add that to the asking price for the watch. Don’t be in a hurry. Stick around on the Omega Message Board. Particularly in the For Sale forums. We’ll help you through the process.

Noddyman likes this.
  6. Hnansen May 16, 2019

Honestly, Davidt told you everything you need to know. The watch is absolute garbage. Literal everything is either wrong or in terrible condition.
    How much is the seller asking? If the price is above 5$ you should stay away from it.

Vintage watches takes time and due diligence, but unless you are in a hurry, you will find yourself a nice example :)

7. Msad May 16, 2019

Now, I am wondering if the watch used to be a ‘Geneve’, rather than a ‘Seamaster’ when clicking the link you’ve provided.

8. Msad May 16, 2019

Wow, thank you for the detailed description of the misguidance the seller has provided potential buyers.

In general, can these ‘type’ of seasmaster be found with a black dial with a much better condition? As I really like black dials on watches, have these seamasters existed with black dials from factory?

9. Hnansen May 16, 2019

Unless there is a proof of service, the term "service" in eBay listings is just a blatant lie.

Yes, original black dial Omega Seamasters certainly do exist, but in far less number than their silver/white dial counterparts, as they weren't in fashion back then. Here is a couple of examples that I have owned.
    They certainly are in fashion now, which is why black is the go-to color for redialers. You can assume that a great percentage of the black dial Seamasters on eBay and Chrono24 are redials.

1.JPG 1 2.JPG
    Edward53, Dan S, blacka01 and 3 others like this.
  10. Msad May 16, 2019

These are the type of watch(es) that is on my wish list. They are (were) stunning pieces of yours.
    If it isn’t too personal, what is the market price of a watch like the two you’ve showed me? And as condition - how you rate them? (i.e. okay-, good-, great-, top condition)

11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 16, 2019

I have asked a few sellers "who serviced the watch?". It is interesting that none have been able to tell me, other than saying "by a watch maker" before they stopped responding. By this point, I was just having fun with them anyway.

12. Rochete May 16, 2019

I can't think of a better answer to such a question.