Forums Latest Members

I need help identifying an old Seamaster automatic Deville passed down.

1. briz md Jan 9, 2017

My wife and I recently moved and came across my step Fathers Omega Seamaster in a keepsakes box. I honestly forgot about it being in there. He gave it to me when I was nine or ten years of age and that has been thirty years. As soon as I picked it up, I was stunned that it was working perfectly. He has since passed away some twenty years back, so I can't ask him anything in regard to its origins. All that I can recall him saying when he gave it to me, was he had it when serving in the Korean War. I am aware the exterior appearance is very rough however, I'm curious about its identity and how you would recommend I proceed with possible restoration and appraisal if necessary. I am ignorant of your knowledge and definitely appreciate any input I receive. I hope these photos will be detailed enough to start a basic assessment. Thank you. image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Vitezi, Edward53 and Giff2577 like this.
  2. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 9, 2017

Nice Seamaster DeVille! The all numeral dial is less common. It most likely was purchased about a decade after the Korean War though. I would suggest finding an independent watchmaker and have it serviced but not polished. Then enjoy wearing the family watch!

Vitezi likes this.
  3. briz md Jan 9, 2017

Thank you! I still can't believe how uncommon the numeral dial is. In fact I still have not seen one like it anywhere online.

4. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 9, 2017

I just did a quick image search and came up with these. image.jpeg

I'm sure you will find a similar one to yours if you do some searching. I do like your all silver colored version!

5. ConElPueblo Jan 9, 2017

It's one of the most uncommon variants on this reference, in my experience. Also a bit of a either/or - some people love it, others much prefer the simpler varieties available. I think it looks great :)

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 9, 2017

I read somewhere that the arabic numeral dials were a UK market variation which could be factory ordered. The OP's watch is mid-late 1960s IMO. Here is a 1969 9K gold man wind piece with a similar arabic dial (LHS), case number 131.25016. The case design looks very similar and is also front loader design but in this case uses the 601 movement.

[​IMG]

Edited Jan 9, 2017
    Giff2577 likes this.