I need help buying my first vintage Omega

Hi, I want to buy my first vintage Omega, but I am not a watch expert at all. It looks to be in good condition, although the photos are low quality. Should I be concerned about a fake? Also, why are there no markings on the back? Is that a problem? It’s quartz movement, and seller says the production year is around the 1970s. They are asking around $800 for it.

What are everyone’s thoughts? I’m very new to this, but I like the idea of a vintage watch over a new one. Thank you in advance.

IMO its overpriced - you can get better watches for that money

Seamaster Cosmic is a good solid Omega, but not that one, the case has significant wear to the gold plating.

Stick around here for a couple months and learn, don't be in a rush.

I also liked this one for around $650. Any thoughts on this model?

Are you specifically looking for gold plated watches? If not, the steel Seamaster Cosmics are great!

Seamaster Cosmic is a good solid Omega, but not that one, the case has significant wear to the gold plating.

Stick around here for a couple months and learn, don't be in a rush.

Thank you! I'm digging into these threads to learn what is worth purchasing. Appreciate the reply

Are you specifically looking for gold plated watches? If not, the steel Seamaster Cosmics are great!

I was leaning towards gold plated, but I'll look into the steel models as well. Thanks!

I would avoid gold plated models entirely as the cases tend not to age well. There are plenty of stainless steel vintage Omegas in good condition that can be had for reasonable money. For a first vintage watch, I would concentrate on manual wind Seamasters with 30mm calibers from the late 50s to mid 60s. Lots of good choices. An automatic movement and/or a date function will cost you more, but there are still plenty of those around too.

I was leaning towards gold plated, but I'll look into the steel models as well. Thanks!

Gold-capped would be a better option IMO. The gold-plated cases really were not made to last. Sometimes you will find one in good condition, and maybe they could work as a dress watch, but they're not ideal for regular wear IMO.

I also think is better to go for a steel version and not gold plated. If you want to buy a vintage watch to a reasonable price my advice is to watch some auctions on eBay. It's very easy to use and you can find good deals there. Or here on the forum to private sales section.