Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkunkPrince Sep 7, 2020

Things have been turning up. I accepted a short-term contract that will get some money in the door and I have a couple of places interested in me as a response to an application, though no followups other than initial cotact as of yet. So we'll see.

I am on LinkedIn and I get messaged by recruiters all of the time... how I got this short-term contract.

The reality is right now we'rer all working remotely... and when you work remotely, your competition is world-wide. Now, technical writing in English means most people will hire a native English speaker, but therer's tens of thousands of technical writers around, and perhaps a tenth of those not yet employed. So competition is fierce.

But even though the contract is six weeeks, it will be nice to get some money coming in!

JimJupiter, LesXL, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Sep 7, 2020

I hope you can keep your head above water. I was unemployed for 6 months back in '12, it was sudden and unexpected. I turned my hobbies into money and sold off a bunch of stuff that I had collected over the years and it sustained me- I kept my house, my cars (daily & my vintage) and didn't starve. After it was all over got rid of stuff I really felt no atterchment to, and I don't miss any of it.

I take that back, the only thing I sold off that I miss was a complete 1965 Linhof Technika kit (large format camera) in the factory case with every accessory made for it. It took me 3 years to source every part and the effort I put into assembling it was what killed me selling it. But someone through the photo world knew someone else that was interested and he offered me $3k cash for it...hard to turn that down when you have no income.

Mark020, DaveK and DSotW like this.
  3. SkunkPrince Sep 7, 2020

I had a habit of buying a lot of thiings I didn't need... this has changed over the past six months. I've already looked at a number of things I might have bought and... didn't.

Walrus, JwRosenthal and DSotW like this.
  4. Dan S Mar 14, 2023

Given the fact that the OP recently passed away, it's hard to imagine a first post that is in worse taste.

5. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Mar 14, 2023

I was prepared to defend the new member Dan, but since you always appear very wise I gave it some thought and this is a very strange first post indeed. Especially when you consider that the thread about Tom’s passing is still on page 7.

@AlexanderFranc please read this.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/member-skunkprince-has-passed-away.155932/

RevZMan123 and Dan S like this.
  6. Dan S Mar 14, 2023

Right. Even if Tom were still around to read this response, the "advice" is completely unhelpful (and patronizing, in fact) in the context of this very old thread, to say the least.

If the new member isn't simply trolling, he might want to make a fresh start with an intro thread elsewhere.

Davidt, AAAKK, Dsloan and 2 others like this.
  7. Dsloan Mar 14, 2023

Egads, what a bizarre way to make an entrance. I'm going to go join a technical writing forum and make my first post an unhelpful critique of someone's watch collection.

noelekal likes this.
  8. Walrus Mar 14, 2023

Wow this this is the thread that got me and Tom talking more frequently as my wife’s place was posting a technical writer position and we were trying to find it. I think he ended up finding something solid before we located the official posting. Another one of those “kind a hit me a bit” when I saw it. Damn that was 2020. I was trying to remember. Tom had no need to switch fields unless he was burnt out and wished to do so. He was good at what he did just hit a rough patch and who the hec doesn’t.

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 14, 2023

My only conversations with him were about this thread. Some companies in my line of work have technical writers on staff. But it was not the same type of technical writing he practiced, so I was able to help with any leads.

RevZMan123 likes this.
  10. RevZMan123 Mar 14, 2023

Oh man ... I see this at the top and my heart fluttered a bit ... and now I'm a grown man about to cry the day before his own birthday lamenting the passing of his internet watch nerd friend.

bardamu, machamp6650, Twocats and 6 others like this.
  11. josiahg52 Mar 11, 2024

Carefully read the thread - all the posts - and perhaps reconsider what you posted.

Dsloan, Gav1967, gbesq and 2 others like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Mar 11, 2024

My heart sank a little when I saw this thread bumped up.

If @amiachesheere is not a chatbot and a real new member looking for threads to post about- the OP of this thread, Tom is no longer with us.

Dsloan, DaveK, Gav1967 and 1 other person like this.
  13. fiberguy Mar 11, 2024

They are a spammer - the only other post the person made had link to some UK trucking website

Dsloan and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Mar 11, 2024

Never been angrier at a spammer. And I fucjing hate spammers.

Dsloan and Twocats like this.
  15. gbesq Mar 11, 2024

I'm not sure that he's a spammer based on that other post as its content does relate to several other posts in that thread which came immediately before his. It seems more likely that he simply didn't read this thread in its entirety before he posted and wasn't aware that Tom had passed. Several other new members have made that same mistake.

Edited Mar 11, 2024
    Dsloan likes this.
  16. RevZMan123 Mar 11, 2024

I know now when this thread gets sent to my inbox that it's never anything good.

Dsloan likes this.
  17. wagudc Mar 11, 2024

I try not to waste any of my time getting upset at these useless spammers. Instead, I take the opportunity remember our old friend Tom. He sometimes stirred the pot, but he had a good heart and really reached out to some of us when we were new to collecting / the forum. Tom was a good guy and I appreciate the opportunity to remember him.

Edited Mar 11, 2024
    Dsloan, RevZMan123, Zapatta and 3 others like this.
  18. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 11, 2024

I personally think this thread should be locked. There is nothing to be gained from more posts.

Dsloan, Taddyangle, Zman4eva and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.