Forums Latest Members

I need a little help with a Conquest de luxe

1. dragoman Dec 13, 2013

I have the chance to get a Conquest de luxe no date identical to this one

[​IMG]

The crown is like that, it has dauphine hands, the lettering is also the same.

When I begun my due diligence, so to say, all I found were Conquests calendars similar to that of ulackfocus

[​IMG]

I usually prefer non-date watches, but in this case I think the date one is way better looking.

Sadly the chance I have is restricted to the non-date one. Vintagers (without deep pockets) can't be choosers.

The watch is described as pink-gold (although it will probably end up being yellow gold; with Longines the confusion may be even excusable), and I still don't know what the movement is (I suppose it is a 19AS, but I have still not seen the watch in the flesh). I suppose the medallion should be the blue one with waves.

Having already found out that the dauphine hands and the crown are correct for the watch I am considering, what else should I check?

And, in general terms, is the non-date a poor cousin of the date Conquest, or not even a seven-times removed depauperated cousin would describe the relationship between the Conquest no date and that epitome of beauty the Conquest date is?

As always, any help will be much appreciated.

2. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2013

If it has that crown and dauphine hands, it probably is a 19AS from the late 50's. I'd want to be sure the blue waves & stars medallion paint was intact, and the case back had the multi-sided edges (like a stop sign with too many sides) instead of the 6 notches.

If you want to keep the watch private, PM me the link and I'll check it out for you.

dragoman likes this.
  3. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Dec 13, 2013

The one with the date is a later 291. I quite like the 19AS ones myself, but the 290 based ones are slightly more modern looking and the movements are better. I don't believe there's a date at 12 19ASD - and AFAIK the date at 3 ones all have the date window fairly inboard.

dragoman likes this.
  4. dragoman Dec 13, 2013

If only Longines had a database like Omega does!!!

(... who do I want to fool? We will be bitching about mistakes and inaccuracies).

5. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2013

Correct on all points. The other non-traditional date window locations for Longines automatics are the date-at-12 caliber 341 (made in 1961, most notably on Flagships), date-at-6 caliber 34x (usually 343 and 345, used on some Admirals and Grand Prizes of the mid 60's), the date-at-4:30 Ultra-Chrons of the late 60's and early 70's, and the 19ASD from the mid to late 50's where the date-at-3 is moved away from the edge of the dial and closer to the center as you noted. I'm sure I'm missing a caliber too. Longines usually molded the magnifier to the inside of the crystal.

6. ulackfocus Dec 13, 2013

What fun would that be?

dragoman likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 13, 2013

If only Omega still answered e-mails promptly and completely like Longines...then who would care about the database?
    gatorcpa

dragoman likes this.