I might get some hate for my new acquisition...

Hey all,

Decided that I'd need at least 1 quartz watch in my collection, and figured I might as well get a HAQ (High accuracy Quartz) watch that would be competitive in looks to my mechanicals. Decided on this Seiko 1981 King Quartz with the famous Grammar of Design elements.

All of you mechanical watch lovers out there, please don't hate me for turning to the dark side! 😲

No ….. I have battery watches.
Many of us have them 😀

I think every member here has at least one quartz watch. They're perfect as beaters when you don't wanna risk your mechanical movements. I like the case on yours 😀 I gotta get a nice vintage grand Seiko one day. Albeit it'll probably be automatic 😉

Just had its battery changed last week….Just back from the gym….

I must confess that I have a crush for quartz LED watches… can’t resist a GP casquete or an Heuer Chronosplit 🥰🥰🥰 (among others)

New Battery and a new gasket once a year then perfect time the rest of the year. Sounds good to me 😀

I think every member here has at least one quartz watch.

I nearly repudiated what you said then I remembered that I was gifted this little gem lady year for Father's Day. So I do have one quartz watch, it just never gets worn.

Nowt wrong with some quartz ,

As in, “Happen there’s nowt wrong …” 😉

That is one NICE quartz!! Also love the date wheel in Japanese…

Love the Seiko Grammar of Design, discovered it when I chanced upon a 36k bph. OP, is yours NOS? Looks VERY noice!

It’s a shame you gotta feel “funny” posting that because it’s quartz. Seikos history with quartz is pretty damn amazing. I know you were joking a bit and I do prefer mechanical and automatic as I like the perceived and real intricacies but I can’t imagine being a watch collector and not having some quartz. The accuracy and ability to just toss it on when your in a rush or just for something different can’t be beat. I think you made a great pick up and I certainly would wear that there watch right now if I had it.

Love the Seiko Grammar of Design, discovered it when I chanced upon a 36k bph. OP, is yours NOS? Looks VERY noice!

Nope! It's just been super well taken care of during its lifetime. It was previously in the UK after doing some research. Only blemish noted was the small spot near the 4.

Was the 36k BPH Seiko a Lord Marvel? Those are super cool watches as well, since they paved the way to Seiko's Hi-Beat watches we know and love today.

It’s a shame you gotta feel “funny” posting that because it’s quartz. Seikos history with quartz is pretty damn amazing. I know you were joking a bit and I do prefer mechanical and automatic as I like the perceived and real intricacies but I can’t imagine being a watch collector and not having some quartz. The accuracy and ability to just toss it on when your in a rush or just for something different can’t be beat. I think you made a great pick up and I certainly would wear that there watch right now if I had it.

Thanks a lot! I know a few watch collectors that will look down at anything "Quartz" related. I love history (and how Seiko was super innovative with engineering), and figured that a vintage HAQ would be a great addition to my collection.

Hey all,

Decided that I'd need at least 1 quartz watch in my collection, and figured I might as well get a HAQ (High accuracy Quartz) watch that would be competitive in looks to my mechanicals. Decided on this Seiko 1981 King Quartz with the famous Grammar of Design elements.

All of you mechanical watch lovers out there, please don't hate me for turning to the dark side! 😲

Congrats on the quartz!

Here's mine earlier in the week 😀. I certainly sometimes enjoy having a grab-and-go-to-work and not having to set the date for those rushed mornings.

Lovely watch!

What are the repair/replacement costs and parts availability like for those older 1970s quartz movements?

Lovely watch!

What are the repair/replacement costs and parts availability like for those older 1970s quartz movements?
For some you can get factory parts/movements, others you can only get “generic” it’s kind of a crap shoot.