Forums Latest Members
  1. ericNJUSA Oct 1, 2019

My father recently passed away, and I inherited his Speedmaster. I recalled being fascinated by it as a kid, and he loved it, and it is well worn,but over the years, it was neglected a bit. The hexalite crystal was scratched and faded, the band had broken and was replaced with something non-Omega with no endcaps and the pushers had lost their caps.

I had the band replaced with a period correct Omega band, and had the hexalite polished (one scratch left), but did not want to go further, I didn't even have the case itself polished or cleaned... Omega told me doing more means a full recond and sending it to Omega in Switzerland. And they would replace the dial as it has a tritium coating.

I don't want to have the dial replaced as I want to look at what my father looked at. The watch and all functions and buttons work, but I'd like to get it serviced (adjusted, oiled, polished, etc.) and if possible, have the pusher caps replaced.

I am in New Jersey - any advice on watch shops would be helpful.

Additionally, I am told this is an Omega with 321 movement, my dad got it as a wedding gift, I believe in 1965, and the case back (inside) is stamped 2998-4. Movement serial number, I think is 22082395.I have a picture of him wearing it in 1968, so it is definitely at least that old.

Any further info would be useful to understand it's history, value, what NOT to do, etc. I intend to keep this in the family, and wondering if need to have it insured. Here are some pictures.

Appreciate your expertise and interest!

Case back inside, seems to have been repaired once...
    case inside.jpeg

Case back:
    caseback.jpeg
    Dial close:
    dial close.jpeg

Moon watch out in the sun: moon in sun.jpg
    My dad in 1968, just happened to be wearing the watch for a newspaper story on edit: helicopter mechanics (hey Clooney, look out!)

dad omega 1968.JPG

Edited Oct 2, 2019
    Duracuir1, MTROIS, noelekal and 25 others like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 1, 2019

Unfortunately, numerous parts are now incorrect or worse

3. Dan S Oct 1, 2019

Very sorry to hear about your father ... it's great that you have such a wonderful heirloom. A 2998 is a special watch, and restoration is possible, if you choose that path. You should take your time and learn about the reference. Don't rush into it. Ultimately you can choose how much you would like to keep it in the final form that your father had it, vs. how much you would like to restore it to its original condition. Period-correct parts are available, at a price.

Your watch has some replacement parts, including the pushers. I don't think the caps are missing, they are actually a different style of pusher (inverted/inverse style) that has been installed. Certainly non-Speedmaster and probably non-Omega ... just something that fit. So I agree with getting the correct pushers, or at least authentic Omega service pushers. The rest of the watch looks to be authentic, but some parts are not original. The sweep hand (possibly all the hands, but the sweep hand is most distinctive) and bezel are authentic Omega replacements, likely from the 1970s. Such parts were often installed during a service. Case, case-back, and dial look original. Now that these watches are highly collectible, people fuss over the originality of parts. 40-50 years ago, owners didn't care, they just replaced damaged bezels with new ones, as you might expect.

Edited Oct 1, 2019
    alexkovac88, Vaylalo, chronos and 4 others like this.
  4. wagudc Oct 1, 2019

I am far from an expert, but know that you have a special watch (both as an heirloom and a piece of history). As others have said, it has had several parts swapped out over the years. Here is a good place to start learning about your 2998-4 Speedmaster.

http://speedmaster101.com/2998-3/

ericNJUSA likes this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 1, 2019

I can only hope, that whoever replaced the pushers with these ( failing to find a word for THAT .....), left the origin pusher thread unchanged. Then it is no problem to restore the visual for that Beauty. Kind regards. Achim

alexkovac88, ericNJUSA and Eve like this.
  6. Screwbacks Oct 1, 2019

nice story. some parts may be wanting of upgrading, but at least you still have the heart of it to be fully restored.

alexkovac88 and ericNJUSA like this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 2, 2019

That’s a 105.003 with a swapped caseback, according to the movement and the dial (a common thing to happen back in the day at service before these watches became so valuable was a caseback swap). It’s difficult to see in that pic of your father but the hands look all white in it, which happened only from the next reference up from 2998. Still a lovely heirloom. Cherish it! And lovely pic of him :thumbsup:

Edit: to clarify what I meant, but did not say, for posterity of those who can not infer it.

SN puts it in the range of 105.003-63/64.
    Dial is for a 105.003 -> 2998/105.002 dials have minute track painted to the step in the dial, whereas 105.003 dials the minute track stops with a gap before the step (as in the watch pictured).
    Fathers picture : clearly white baton hands in that picture (only found in later 105.002's onward).
    Via occams razor thus...

Edit edit : if the silver rehaut is original (i think it looks silvery in the picture of your Dad) it may even be an early -63 (edit edit edit : most likely not...sn should be really early for that I would guess...so then the silver rehaut in the vintage pic is very interesting). It all depends on the 't swiss made t' (or lack of t) on the bottom of the dial, which is not visible due to the displaced nature of the minute track (and swiss made) away from the step, and the silver rehaut which has a slightly smaller diameter than the later black one (i think). If you can see the top of that from an angle, do post a pic.

Edited Oct 4, 2019
    BatDad, kingsrider, ericNJUSA and 4 others like this.
  8. omegastar Oct 2, 2019

May an extract of the archive could solve the puzzle ?

ericNJUSA likes this.
  9. jaguar11 Oct 2, 2019

Fortunately you have a wonderful heirloom showing the characteristics of a watch that has been used as intended. With some sympathetic work you will have something to cherish and keep. I like the picture of your Dad!!

10. DotOverNine Oct 2, 2019

Love the picture of your dad and the watch!

noelekal, kov, kelev_ra and 2 others like this.
  11. ericNJUSA Oct 2, 2019

Thank you! I did notice the anomaly between serial # and case back, but wanted to let the forum confirm, since I am such a novice. I appreciate all the information you provided. I cannot see any indications of the "T Swiss Made T" from any angle, but I'll try and use my camera to zoom in at an angle.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 2, 2019

Even on 2998's it a tight squeeze. See how it almost slides under the rehaut?

[​IMG]

With the Ed White dial, and the slightly larger radius track, that is most likely under the silver rehaut. See how your minute track is almost on the edge of the rehaut, compared to the pic above?

[​IMG]

If you can see it, you might just see the tops of the letters...if not, you will have to decase the movement and dial to see.

13. ericNJUSA Oct 2, 2019

In my research, I've seen the hands look the same, what makes you think they were replaced? Reference: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/just-because-an-omega-speedmaster-reference-105003-ed-white

14. Dan S Oct 2, 2019