Forums Latest Members

I Have Been Given A Gold Seamaster And Would Love To Know More About It

1. TCGuitarman Feb 9, 2013

Hi all, hope someone can help, any more information than I have will be a bonus.

While living in London, my parents bought each other omega watches in the 60's. My mother was partially sighted and liked men's watches (bigger face, more to see) so dad bought her this 18kt gold Seamaster, originally with a leather strap. From internet research I have done, the movement serial number seems to come from 1958 so I guess it was second hand at the time.

Anyway, my mother died in 1982 and I never really thought any more about it.

When I got married in 2007, my dad proudly presented me with my mum's old watch, now with a gold Speidel band (this has to go lol).

There doesn't seem to be signing or logos on some of the areas I would expect, for instance the winder or the case back... They are both plain. The face is also gold but has an interesting linen pattern. I can see the 'Swiss Made' on the bottom of the face and the movement is clearly marked, but although there are numbers hand engraved inside the case back, they are so faint they are very hard to read. Also stamped inside the back is the 18K mark.

There isn't a lot helpful on the Omega database, but I see you guys here have such a variety of vintage Omega's that you hopefully have seen some or all of these issues before? I'd love to know more about the watch, why it doesn't feature some of the things I'd expect, maybe even what to insure it for... It means too much to me to ever sell.

It works beautifully for 55 years old, and gets worn on special occasions :)

Unfortunately I don't have a particularly good macro lens or camera, so I've done the best I can with what I have... If anyone needs more or better pictures let me know and I'll do what I can.

Hope someone can help,

Tony

P.S. I posted the inside of the case back from four different angles, the light hits the engraving from different directions and might be able to help someone read what's there? Sorry for the long post!

IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6251.JPG IMG_6262.JPG IMG_6266.JPG IMG_6267.JPG IMG_6268.JPG IMG_6269.JPG

2. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

Hi Tony. The serial number dates the watch to 1959. The case wasn't made by Omega - it was probably made in South America judging by the lack of markings. Nice heirloom! Please have a watchmaker service (ie: clean & oil) the movement so it's doesn't get damaged. You'll break important parts if you keep using it without lubrication.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 9, 2013

Nice Seamaster Tony,
    I love the linen dial. It is great to have a watch with history, especially if that history is close to our heart.

Regards,

4. TCGuitarman Feb 9, 2013

Thank you both... I'd never considered South America! The linen dial looked pretty special to me, I haven't found anything else like it.

One of my main confusions was the Seamaster name on the dial, when there are no signs of waterproofing... lol

5. AJDay Feb 9, 2013

Very interesting dial, is that original? I've never seen one like it...

Can't really see in the pictures, but the hand engraved numbers inside the case back are probably dates / marks from watchmakers who serviced the watch over the years.

6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 9, 2013

I love reading these types of threads.

That is a nice watch, it will look outstanding with a leather grained strap.

Please do get it serviced.

7. TCGuitarman Feb 9, 2013

As far as I am aware the dial is original, at least when I was growing up it was the face I remember being on the watch. Also, I hadn't thought of watch makers engraving dates inside the back, but that makes sense :D

I do really want to get a nice brown leather strap, but am not sure how far to go, whether it's worth getting an Omega strap for it (or at least an Omega buckle) considering that there is so little signing on the case.

I will definitely get it serviced in the next few weeks, and will let it wind down for now until it's done!

8. Dablitzer Feb 9, 2013

Now that's an unusual watch, and a great momento, I love it.

Wear it in good health!

:thumbsup:

9. Mothra Feb 9, 2013

Not sure if this is universal, but i consider straps to be consumables, like petrol or tires. There are loads of really nice straps out there that don't have omega on them. An omega buckle wont break the bank.....

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

We've got a couple of good strap sellers we like, can someone link this nice man that leather guy that uses his own gators?

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 9, 2013

12. TCGuitarman Feb 9, 2013

Thanks for that, I'll drop them a line and see if they will ship to the UK :)

13. Dablitzer Feb 9, 2013

14. ulackfocus Feb 9, 2013

If it were shipped from a US member to several UK members, I guess it could go to one UK member who could disperse them to the other UK members that were in on the deal. You know, if something like that were to happen. Completely hypothetical though.

15. TCGuitarman Feb 10, 2013

With something light like a watch strap, it's usually better to ship individually... If someone were to send say half a dozen to one address in Europe, the poor guy receiving them could get stuck with the import duty and VAT on all of them :(

If the value isn't too great (like the $20.00 straps) they don't attract import duty.

16. Sherbie Feb 10, 2013

Hirsch do a wide range of straps and are available in many high street jewelers in the UK ( tyre Pykes or Goldsmiths etc). Alternatively, you can lose yourself for days at Watchobsession on the web - they do Hirsch and many other mf,s - no affiliation, just repeat customer, cheers, Paul

17. Dablitzer Feb 10, 2013

Hirsch make straps for omega too.

18. TCGuitarman Feb 11, 2013

Not easy finding a watch repairer in my area with any recommendations... Will keep trying :) Have ordered a brown crocodile grain strap with a gold deployment clasp, just because I like gadget-ty things lol

I know it's impossible to say without probably much more information, but has anyone got any ideas whether I need to declare this on my home insurance??? I'm really not sure if this is worth £300 or £3,000 ::shy::

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

I had to really stare at the photo of the inside of the caseback to see the 18K mark inside. I think it is the same as this one (from my collection):
    [​IMG]

This would be either a Spanish or South American hallmark. This means that the dial and movement were probably transplanted from another case when the watch was imported, probably due to a local law requirement. These cases are a little thinner and lighter than the Swiss Omega 18K cases of the time, and therefore a litlle less valuable.

The other marks you mentioned are probably watchmakers repair marks that were done during routine service. Not much different than the little stickers you get when the change the oil in your car.

Still a very nice watch and I really like that linen dial. Probably should insure it for around £600 to £1,000.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

20. TCGuitarman Feb 14, 2013

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, if anyone knows of a good watch maker who can provide a service in the UK (preferably not too far from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire) please let me know... It seems to be a dying trade! I don't really want to post it if I can deal with someone local.