Forums Latest Members
  1. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 7, 2012

I realized that according to what I read in another thread, once I have shown interest in a watch on Ebay and maybe posted a link, it's officially off limits for anyone in this forum, and there's a fair chance some of the competing bidders might be members here, so I'll be posting links to every watch I find interesting...starting with this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170891761418?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Mike, I know it has the issues with the lum missing from some markers and the hands, but what do you think of it otherwise? I think the bezel is the rare worn gray variation from guys polishing the plexi and polishing the bezel right along with it. And isn't this Mexican seller considered a safe bet? He gets some great pieces.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 7, 2012

Yes, nice one to go for - a very uncommon 105.002. And seller is ok. Movement has some age, case has been polished and center seconds as well as sub seconds hands look to have been replaced but no disqualifier here. Price should be in the $3500 to $5000 range depending on who goes after it - comparable in value to the later 2998 speedmasters (the -1 and -2 versions with the base 1000 bezel and alpha hands are worth more). Saw this one soon after listing and gave it some thought but decided to pass on it.

3. alam Aug 7, 2012

Crap! I missed that thread and find myself violating this protocol/etiquette almost everyday! somebody stop me :whipped: but don't worry, you are safe with this one as I am content with my modern Speedy....for now that is...:D

[​IMG]

just kidding! :rolleyes:

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Alam, that's a nice strap on your Speedy. What is it ?

Thanks

5. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 8, 2012

I agree...the BACGC "Bonnie and Clyde's gettaway car" strap is sharp. I've been leaning more to the larger holes in the rally straps lately, but I may have to get one of those to try it out. Any suggestions?

6. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 8, 2012

Jeepers! Now this watch has a new bidder with a BRAND new ebay ID...and bidding like a fiend. Darn it.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Going to be shocked if that bidder retracts some bids later on :rolleyes:

8. alam Aug 8, 2012

An Omega racing strap, OME-98000024 Genuine Omega Leather 20 MM Straps I found this one while shopping for the croc leather style - the one detail about this strap that I like are the curved ends at the lugs, add the deployment buckle and your Speedy gets a new sexy look!

[​IMG]

9. Dash1 Aug 8, 2012

I've had a similar band on mine for a few months. It is a vintage nos racing strap fitted with an Omega buckle. If you're feeling wealthy Omega actually made a similar band, I might be able to find the part number somewhere if interested.
    My poor Speedy is slowing down and the chrono sometimes stops (not so good when I'm timing flights!) Its never had a service since it got back from Vietnam (early 70's was its 1st and only service according to the original owner) so I think it might be time to send it to Omega for a treat.
    105.012.jpg

alam likes this.
  10. Dash1 Aug 8, 2012

There's the part number! Nice.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Yea sounds like the original owner exceeded the 5 years recommended by a bit lol

12. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Aug 8, 2012

That seller doesn't strike me as the shill bidder type. What other reason aside from raising the selling price of one's item could someone have for shill bidding? I'm stumped.

13. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

Isn't that the only reason and the whole point of doing it ? Often it's done through an alternative account held by the seller or a close contact of theirs.

I think it may be a criminal offence in the UK...

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 8, 2012

15. alam Aug 8, 2012

Eight days to go, just add it to your watch list and come back to it in a week.... ::popcorn::

16. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

The seller is ok. I recently bought a Constellation, with Guilloche dial. Turns out actual watch looks better than listing & photos I posted in another thread.

17. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

A bidder with zero feedback & posting that many bids is kinda suspicious.

18. MKelley Aug 8, 2012

It would be shock if there are retraction for this bidder. :eek: