Forums Latest Members
  1. ulackfocus Feb 25, 2013

It seems quite a few members have picked some incredible watches for their first foray into vintage Omega:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/post-your-1st-vintage-omega.4040/

Time to fess up - how many of you bought them with assistance from an experienced Omega collector on the forum? I recognize a couple, but I'm curious to see how many got a little help from their friends versus how many went it alone. Also, what percentage of redial versus original dial are there compared to help versus solo would be an interesting statistic.

2. Lex4TDI4Life Feb 25, 2013

My first was a solo pick, after browsing the forum for a couple weeks. I rolled the dice and won. Original, not a redial.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 25, 2013

Jumped in with some help from you guys and its original.

4. Noisy Nova Feb 25, 2013

I cheated.
    Bought it new.

5. ulackfocus Feb 25, 2013

.... and you both turned vintage together. ;)

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 25, 2013

Solo pic, very early on in my collecting career...but I don't think that surprises anyone looking at it.

7. AJDay Feb 25, 2013

Bought without help, and it showed (redial). Second one I spotted an original black dial and got it for a great price, thanks to help here!

8. Sherbie Feb 25, 2013

Also jumped in without any help - in fact, didnt even know that forums existed!. Was a cal 420 manual wind , complete redial, small black face, but keeps amazing time (within 1-2 secs per day)
    cheers, Paul

9. greasemonkey Feb 25, 2013

first omega , original 1958 seamaster cal501 18ct gold denison cased from a friend,but with some very good advice from this forum....greasemonkey

10. danomar Feb 25, 2013

I got mine before the internet existed. Well, before everyone knew about it. Call me an Omega hipster. Hm, maybe not.

But I will prolly ask here for guidance should the next Omega bug hit. It just makes sense.

11. OJsakila Feb 25, 2013

Hahaha!! Actually, you guys helped me get mine. It has'nt arrived yet but you can be sure I'll be starting a new thread and showing pics when it does...which should be in the next couple days, actually..

To be honest, I barely lost two auctions before I purchased a Frankenwatch which was being misrepresent as a Seamaster. The two auctions i lost.. (IM SURE THEYRE BAD WATCHES TOO)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330872678122Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140915511673Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Of course by the time I learned all this new knowledge and words like "frankenwatch" it was too late. Fortunatley, all this knowledge came to me literally moments after my purchase. Thats when I started searching my new watch and found these forums..Amazingly, I was able to get a refund that day a week ago Sunday. Of course its really my fault for not researching first...I'm just lucky I was able to find a technicality/problem with his description! THANKS TO THIS FORUM!! He had described the watch as a seamaster when in fact there was never any watch made by Omega in that case with that dial and hands and crown combo. He didnt learn anything because he didnt change his description at all...he just reposted it back on ebay. whatever...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251231027768Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

After securing the actual money in my refund (i got word from paypal that sunday but it took 6 days to "show me the money!") I came right back on this site and requsted this forum's help.. You suggested a watch that was for sale on this site and told me how to get in touch and "talk business." http://omegaforums.net/threads/1960-omega-seamaster-automatic-with-crosshair-dial.2638/

Well, Thanks. I love this place now. I have been combing the archives of the omega vintage section and learning tons! I think I might like to learn how to do some maintenance on vintage watches.. that would be a great hobby. Certainly if I plan on collecting more Omegas..which I do! maybe I can find me a local jewler to show me the way....

Great site. Great advice. A wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

12. kendrick Feb 25, 2013

Went the solo route, ended up with with non-chronograph Speedmaster, (original dial). Which ultimately lead me to the 'Forums', looking for help identifying it. Always a good idea to buy a watch when you're not even sure what it is... Looking for greater success when it comes time for my next purchase with some generous help from the forum.

13. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 25, 2013

Bought it before the forum.
    Chuck Maddox was my inspiration.
    Had to find "the Grail"
    FLEW to Buffalo NY to buy it.

14. ulackfocus Feb 25, 2013

You, sir, have dedication. :thumbsup:

15. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 25, 2013

Damn. Seems that I am the only one who's afraid to fly solo here.

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 25, 2013

bought it from a bricks and motar store in melbourne, http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/
    I actually think it is connected with watchco in some way.
    I'm pretty sure the watch has a service replacement dial

17. MyVintageOmega Feb 25, 2013

Mine was an original heirloom.

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 25, 2013

I know this is poor taste, but.....
    So now the question is, did you choose your relative by yourself, or with the assistance of the Forum?

19. MyVintageOmega Feb 25, 2013

No probs.......from my Father whom picked me from the litter.

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 26, 2013

bought my first speedmaster new in 1989 in australia. went back to europe and started researching the history. and ended up with john diethelm in biel. had a personal tour with him and that was the beginning of a never ending story........ was a very good time to research and learn. plenty unmolested watches around. did the watchfair circus in europe for 12 years. there was a watchfair nearly every weekend.... kind regards. achim