Forums Latest Members

I got my SMP diagnosed today, what do these numbers mean?

1. toadwaker Feb 7, 2015

Hi everyone, I bought a watch off Kringkily just yesterday, and took it to Omega today to get checked out. It was pressure tested, authenticated, and diagnosed.

The resulting diagnostics are a bit confusing for me. Can someone tel me what these numbers mean?

Thank you :)

[​IMG]

2. ChrisN Feb 8, 2015

I should really let @Archer answer this properly but, will try and get you going and see if I can save some of his time. I am just an amateur so, he might give some corrections...

The watch is tested in the five positions for a chronometer movement. You can see the symbols on the left of your printout and they relate to these (not the same order). The test should be made at full wind (0h) and one day later (+24h). The left hand set of numbers appear to be the 0h results.

test positions.jpg

The first two in your list are CH and FH and you would expect the best results there as it is the best orientation for the balance. Taking the first line, you have a rate of +4 secs/day, 283 degrees amplitude and a beat error of 0.0 milliseconds. For me, very good.

I don't know the spec for your movement but the ones I do all require less than 0.8 milliseconds beat error and yours is well within that in all positions. 300 degrees amplitude (the swing of the balance) is sort of the holy grail for me and you are very close to that. The rate per day is a bit more complex to explain but as a general guide for all expected values, look at the last table on Page 15 of this course:
    https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=RmbXVN6NOczisAS7z4GQCg&url=http://www.witschi.com/assets/files/sheets/Witschi%20Training%20Course.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNG-bHvRwtz8vKH8-Od2y4n5uFrPeA

The horizontal positions are CH and FH. All the rest are vertical.

The next set of numbers appear to be derived from the first set. For example, the first line is the delta between all positions of secs/day, amplitude and beat error. It appears that D is delta and X is average where the small suffix is the orientation so, Xv would be the average of all the vertical positions.

A couple of things though. If your AD (and @Kringkily who has a good reputation here) said all is fine, then I would trust them - don't try to read too much into these results. Anyway, without the 24h test, you shouldn't try to analyse any possible problems.

Cheers, Chris

Edited Feb 8, 2015
    toadwaker likes this.
  3. gtuck Feb 8, 2015

I keep thinking that someone with far more knowledge that I will answer your question. But to get the conversation started, my understanding is that the five symbols down the left side represent the five positions the watch was tested in. Face, up, face down, crown down, crown to left, crown up. The next column is the daily gain/loss in each position as a daily average. The next is the amplitude, then beat error. All those numbers look good--as far as I know. The watch runs fast in all positions and is expected to average +6.1s/d---"X" on first column on the right. The other figures are measures of vertical positions, horizontal positions etc. That's the limit of my understanding. Your experience on your wrist will probably be a bit different. Although, it should run fast and not lose time in any position. If you are accuracy obsessed (like me) then you may want to get the watch regulated--but that might depend on whether it still is under warranty. If not, I wouldn't bother.

ChrisN likes this.
  4. gtuck Feb 8, 2015

Chris answered while I was composing. So, you already had the "far more knowledgable" answer.
    peace, Gary

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 8, 2015

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 8, 2015

All answers so far are good - the watch is running fairly well. The key number is the top one on the right side of the slip - the D or "Delta" of all 5 positions. This is the difference between the slowest rate and the fastest rate of the 5 positions measured, and it's only 5.4 seconds. Omega allows up to 12 seconds for this number at full wind (which this is) and up to 15 seconds at 24 hours after full wind.

Given how good that number is (less than 1/2 of what is allowed) the average rate of 6.1 seconds per day is a bit high, and could easily be adjusted slower by say 3 seconds and the watch would keep better time. Omega allows this average rate reading to be between -1 and +6, so yours is just a hair faster than the top value allowed. They set a "target rate" of +3 for these watches.

But overall it's in good shape by the looks of the timing slip.

Cheers, Al

toadwaker likes this.
  7. toadwaker Feb 8, 2015

Thanks everyone. This brings a lot of peace of mind.
    Al, who would I go to about making this adjustment? Will Omega do it for me? Is this something that's easy to adjust or does it require a long breakdown/rebuild process?

Thank you all again. :)

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 8, 2015

Simple job for any competent watchmaker.

Cheers, Al

9. z1109r Feb 10, 2015

This was really interesting reading!

So, as Mr wizard Al said "Omega allows this average rate reading to be between -1 and +6"

I recently purchased my first Omega, SMPC (ETA7750/1154), after lurking here for couple of years. Got this from Zeitauktion Gmbh, an Omega sertified service and a luxury watch dealer and it is simply as beautifull as it was in pics and described. The only thing is that it runs a bit slow, like 2,3 sec/day. Is this an issue or just a matter of adjustement. I do have a friend who is in the watchservice business so he might be able to fix this. They don´t service Omega but they do have for example Eterna.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2015

With only one piece of data given, that the watch runs 2-3 seconds slow per day, it's impossible to tell you if this is just a simple adjustment or not. It might be, but if the balance amplitudes are low, or there is a lot of variation in positions (Delta), then it may need a full service.

Cheers, Al

11. toadwaker Feb 10, 2015

Do you have an Omega Boutique nearby? They do this type of stuff for free. Every time they open up your watch they diagnose and pressure test it too.