Forums Latest Members

I feel like this discussion forum almost single handidly killed the market for Speedmaster Reduced.

1. Dan S Dec 17, 2018

I had all the same thoughts until I actually bought one and wore it for a few days. Then I sold it.

GT_Aventus likes this.
  2. igloe Dec 17, 2018

If you collect Omegas, a reduced should not be missed. If it fits your wrist, it’s a great watch to wear. You get a great watch for a small money. If you only can afford one watch, I would stay with the real Speedmaster. But there is nothing to say against a great reduced automatic

Edited Dec 17, 2018
    MRC and GT_Aventus like this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 17, 2018

If the 'reduced' was a dog...

[​IMG]

Alpha&onega, kov, Lonestar and 9 others like this.
  4. igloe Dec 17, 2018

Look at his eyes, don't you think this would be lovely and honest friend?

ConElPueblo, eugeneandresson and MRC like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 17, 2018

I've got 3 watches with that hybrid D&D module movement. I found a watchmaker that would service them and they are running fine. I enjoy wearing them because 1) the 38mm size is almost perfect for me 2) I think they look fantastic. I think I'm going to buy a yellow Schumacher next.
    3810.61_081918 12679.jpg 175.0310_120318 13808.jpg 175.0032_021618 10795.jpg

Alpha&onega, durri70, alam and 2 others like this.
  6. MRC Dec 17, 2018

Size did it for me too, but then I started wearing a Heuer with a 36mm ⌀ well over 4 decades ago. It took some persuasion that 38mm would be OK. Don't care automatic or not, those decades have been spent winding my watch every day I was going to wear it.

There was a worry it might be too busy for a long-term Carrera wearer's taste, but I like the Reduced much more than I thought I would, and so would like publicly to thank all the detractors for saving me money :D

P1000663m.JPG

7. MRC Dec 17, 2018

Depends if there is any Terrier in the ancestry. Looks can deceive. When I was a teen we had a Whippet / Terrier cross. Not deliberate, his mother could climb garden walls I couldn't. The looks and speed of a Whippet and the bad-ass attitude of a Terrier!

Edited Dec 17, 2018
    durri70 likes this.
  8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 17, 2018

If that someone is that watchmaker it does mean something. At least with my watchmaker (he is the person who talked me out of it).

Is that red one a reduced? Must admit it does look great.

noelekal likes this.
  9. Reddy_Kilowatt Dec 17, 2018

I can only assume you're thanking the group for a job well done.

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 17, 2018

If it were a cat...

4AFD7309-3576-45DD-A585-AB67761B09E8.jpeg

:whistling:

11. MRC Dec 17, 2018

That's not a cat, it's a squirrel wearing disguise it borrowed from Inspector Clouseau!

12. FreelanceWriter Dec 17, 2018

It's a perfectly nice watch and, IMO, anybody with a specific concern about it being "too small" might have some other issues going on. As far as servicing costs go, I had a 3510 (3220 Cal.) overhauled by my local independent jeweler in 2009 or 2010 for $270.

GT_Aventus likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2018

Although that’s quite a few years ago, that is VERY inexpensive for a full chronograph service. When I see a price like that, it makes me wonder if only the base 2892 portion of the movement was serviced, and the chronograph module was simply removed and set aside, and put back on after the base movement was done.

I would suggest anyone using an independent watchmaker for these ask clear questions about the scope of the service, because only servicing the base movement is only 1/2 a service.

Cheers, Al

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2018

You have to understand that US Squirrels did untold balance damage to Speedmaster Moon watches to cut down their sales.
    It all balances out in the end.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

15. haqq777 Dec 17, 2018

Is there a specific reason why servicing aspect of Reduced is so looked down upon? Parts availability or just working on them is tougher? I'm curious to know what the price range is for them for a full service from both Omega and independent watchmakers.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 17, 2018

Not to mention every time someone puts price reduced Speedmaster on their pre moon FS makes it look like Speedmater Reduced.

;)

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2018

Things vary depending on the market, but yes parts are not easy to get, and the movement is a pain to work on. Even when serviced properly, they can have hands that wiggle around or move when the chronograph is started, etc. and those are things that a fully integrated chronograph typically will not have.

As has already been stated in this thread, Omega charges the same price for the reduced as they do for any chronograph service. I don’t work on them personally so I can’t say what an independent charges for a full and proper service. If the Watchvault guy says he gets them done for the same price as any other chronograph by his local guy, maybe he can tell you the costs...

In many Omega service centres (like here in Canada) they don’t service these, but instead send the movement back to a central facility in Switzerland for service, and puta completely refurbished movement in your watch that was previously removed and sent in from some location around the world. So you won’t get the same movement back in your watch.

Again if people like these, that’s great. Just understand what you are buying before you jump in.

Cheers, Al

thelinendial and haqq777 like this.
  18. haqq777 Dec 17, 2018

Thanks, Al. Makes sense now.

19. dantheman3u4i Dec 17, 2018

When I was first looking to buy a Speedmaster, I was thinking about the automatic. Then I came here and decided against it.

I must say, I am definitely happy with the decision!

20. queriver Dec 18, 2018

Well done OP, you've blown the lid on the great Speedmaster Reduced market manipulation scheme. The bad-mouthing of the Reduced is to keep prices down while the insiders quietly buy them in the shadows. When set, they'll get the media on board to hype the Reduced and, in the blink of an eye, it'll become the next big thing. Prices will skyrocket like a Silver Snoopy strapped to the side of a Saturn V and they plan to make a killing selling them to the unsuspecting. It'll make the Speedmaster LE flipping game look like a kindergarten sport. Expect the bubble to start inflating after the Apollo XI 50th hype is behind us. Now you know, make sure you keep this on the quiet. ;)

BTW, beware, there is a slight risk the scheme won't work. The insiders actually LOVE their Reduced's so they're torn between selling for profit and holding as treasured collectibles. ::love::::confused2::

MRC, durri70 and Wryfox like this.